Using iPhone Sim/Data plan in AirCard - Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcde7ago, Aug 18, 2008.

1. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

Hey all,

So this idea JUST struck me, and despite the fact that I was able to snag NetShare, i've only really used it a few times to tether, and a lot of web pages do not open properly (for instance, MacRumors) when using Firefox through a proxy. Not to mention, tethering using the NetShare method absolutely kills the iPhone's battery.

Well, my dad has a Sierra Wireless 875 AirCard, which just has a Sim card in it with an unlimited data plan...i was wondering if popping in my iPhone 3G sim card in it would work, since i already pay for unlimited data...i haven't tested it yet because i don't know if there are any special settings i would need to do to get it to work, or if i would get tagged by AT&T with usage charges. I was thinking that i could simply just buy an aircard from eBay and pop in my iPhone sim for those instances where i do need to tether and don't want to do it through my phone. Again, not sure how different this is than using the NetShare method, other than it would be MUCH more hassle-free and allow web pages to load normally...any input would be great, thanks! :)

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

I read in a book somewhere that it works :D
    I'm always amazed at the lack of adventure people don't seem to lack now a days.
    Pop the sim out slip in the air card and plug it in! Just don't do stupid things like d/l a cd/dvd image via torrent or some other long sustained data transfer.

3. pavvento macrumors 6502

In my experience with tethering, as long as you don't download huge files or stream video for long amounts of time you should be fine. Worst case scenario you could play dumb and say you thought it was unlimited and apologize and most of the time they'll just give you a warning.