Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theedoor

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2020
Tried searching for this problem but couldn't find a solution. Recently bought an Apple TV box to replace the default Roku that comes with my TCL tv. The TCL/Roku has Airplay so have been using that until now.

Before ATV: I was able to Airplay music from my iPhone to the TCL TV with volume control.

With ATV: I can Airplay music from my iPhone to the ATV but with no volume control.

Sidenote: I need to use the ATV or my TV remote (or my TV's app) to adjust volume. The iPhone ATV remote doesn't have volume control when Airplaying music, nor when just watching things like Netflix.

Whats weird: I can select both my ATV and my TCL TV from the Airplay menu on my iPhone and it will allow me to control the volume.

Is there any solution to allowing my to play music from my iPhone to the ATV with volume control? That's mainly what I use Airplay for so would be nice to have that option.

And second question: when watching Netflix, why can't my iPhone control volume?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Should be the volume buttons on the phone control the volume.

Edit:
Yeah it does just that, however it won’t go any louder than what your TV volume is already set at.

Last edited:

theedoor

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2020
Side volume buttons don't work and there's no dot on the volume slide in the Music app.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Ok so was trying it on my ATV4 before which some functions were limited.
However just tried it on my ATV4K and found that once you’ve started playing over Airplay and then open the ATV remote app under control centre you can then use the volume buttons on the phone to control the volume.

theedoor

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2020
Still a no go.

My speakers are connected through the 3.5mm port on the tv - maybe thats it?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Its a bit of an odd hand off how these apps dont work together. Swipe down on control center and open the remote app. Select the correct AppleTV, the volume buttons should work on the side of your phone the emulated remote.

IMG_4300.jpeg

theedoor

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2020
To update here: I have powered speakers connected to the TV directly through the 3.5mm port. And the volume option simply isn't there. I've seen a friends Apple TV iPhone remote that has it, but mine doesn't. And no option for changing volume in the Music app on the iPhone.

However when I connect the powered speakers to my Apple TV via Bluetooth, I am able to control the volume in the Music app and on the remote from Control Center.

I'm guessing I need a receiver or some kind of ADC?

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if the aTV is able to control the volume of the speaker, then you have volume controls in the remote app.

for the aTV to be able to control the volume of the speaker, it needs to have CEC control of your TV/receiver/soundbar, or be using bluetooth or airplay.

if you're using IR to control volume, then volume isn't available in the phone app, since the aTV box isn't able to control the volume. (technically it's the siri remote sending the commands, and not the aTV) they probably could have enabled it to work, but it would be problematic, since if you left the remote facing away from the TV, it wouldn't work.

or in your case, since you're using the 3.5mm port, there's no way to send volume commands to the speakers.

the reason you have a difference between airplaying to the TV, or airplaying to the aTV is due to the same issue.
When you're airplaying to the TV, you have volume control, since the TV is able to control it's own volume.
when you're airplaying to the aTV, you don't have control, since the aTV isn't able to control the volume of the TV, unless it has CEC.

Your model of TV might support CEC, but a lot of times it's disabled by default, enabling it should give you volume controls in the phone app.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
To update here: I have powered speakers connected to the TV directly through the 3.5mm port. And the volume option simply isn't there. I've seen a friends Apple TV iPhone remote that has it, but mine doesn't. And no option for changing volume in the Music app on the iPhone.

However when I connect the powered speakers to my Apple TV via Bluetooth, I am able to control the volume in the Music app and on the remote from Control Center.

I'm guessing I need a receiver or some kind of ADC?
Does the volume change on those speakers when you use the TV remote? Some TV's have fixed output on the 3.5mm port, others have variable output, and some TVs will let you switch between the two. If your TV doesn't offer variable output on the 3.5mm port then there is no way your speaker volume will change other than changing the volume on your speakers themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.