Using Iphone to connect laptop to internet!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rococo, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Rococo macrumors newbie

I currently have a Motorola V3xx that I can use the SIM card in conjunction with a 3g wireless air card on my laptop to access the internet. In talking to the ATT store, they said that if I were to get an Iphone, I could not continue to get online this way... they're best recommendation would be to get an Iphone, pay for the PDA plan with it, then open a new line, pay for the media package again, and use that just to get online- basically, not a financially feasible plan for me.

I read recently of an app that was available, then pulled, that could enable me to use the Iphone to get my computer online- does anyone know if that app (or something like it) is available, or if there is a way to do this so that I can have my Iphone, and use my computer too?

2. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

the app was called Netshare..it's only available in the UK site now...if you jailbreak your iphone...you should be able to tether it to your laptop

3. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Its not on the UK site, unless i am missing something? :D

4. Rococo thread starter macrumors newbie

So, is it do-able for an Iphone newbie?? Or do I need to be pretty tech savvy to figure it out? Is there any other way to get that app?

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

6. Rococo thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks!

In terms of this "jailbroken" Iphone- how is that accomplished- is it something anyone can do, or something I have to send the phone out to someone to do?

Also, has anyone used this with ATT network- any problems with billing/charges?

Edited to add- I have a PC laptop- will that negate this whole thing?

7. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

you're new so i will not flame you

please search about how to jailbreak your phone... basically most will not recommend it because your chance of making your phone non-functioning goes way up... and it voids your warranty

I was talking with an apple employee and apparently apple purchased the software and will be offering it... for a price

8. noall666 macrumors newbie

Ok so I have 1 slight problem and another question. The instructions are great by the way on the iclarified site....But my wireless card has malfunctioned on my mac. so I use a dlink usb device for wifi. so its a bit difficult to create the peer to peer network. also. isnt this using the wirelees on the laptop to connect to the iphone, without wires.... isnt there a way to do this via the iphone being connected with the cable.. maybe this would be faster???
    any help?

9. Mindgames macrumors member

there is no need for even jailbreaking ur phone to use tethering. There are many tutorials out there even for noobs. :D