Using iPhone to tether data to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMaven, Mar 12, 2012.

1. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

I don't think it's a good idea to use my iPhone to tether data to my iPad. I would miss out on LTE which is one of the reasons this iPad is going to be fast. With the Retina display and streaming HD movies, isn't the extra speed needed?

2. notjustgc macrumors 6502

Where are you located? LTE won't even be an option for most people living outside of major metro areas.

3. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

No, not at all. The Retina has nothing to do with the LTE. HD movies being streamed could help if you're using LTE over 3G. (Of course unless you're unlimited, you won't want to be streaming 1080p videos over 3G or LTE.)

4. iMaven, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

It's available in my area.

I was thinking Retina display because graphics/photos will be much larger files. So, if I wanted to upload or download a photo from iCloud with Retina resolution, I was thinking it would take a long time if I didn't use 4G. You're right about the movies. I would need unlimited data for streaming, but some short videos (30 seconds) may be in 1080P.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Besides, tethering is a terrible battery sucker. I wouldn't want to be left with a depleted battery on my phone...

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

This is the reason I chose the LTE model. I have a really nice data plan on my phone, but the battery drain is a big issue. That and the added convenience of not having to turn on personal hotspot each time I want to go on the Internet on my iPad.

7. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

Good point.

8. rantor49 macrumors 6502

I have a battery pack for my iphone. Free wifi tethering is much better than having to have a data plan for my iPad. At least with my limited use of data d/l when I'm away from wifi.

9. jalpert macrumors 6502

There have been a bunch of apps to tether, but they've all been based on ad-hoc networks. How much longer do we have to wait for someone to sneak wifi teather into an app?? :)

10. macguy80 macrumors newbie

What are you using for free tethering?
    I'm grandfathered into the unlimited iPhone data plan and don't want to lose it.

11. kidnice15 macrumors member

I went with the wifi version just because I already have a 4G phone that I can tether for free. Glad I am rooted :). I think I need to invest in a bigger battery for my nexus with all the tethering I plan on doing