Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Is it possible to use mail, safari etc. on the iPhone if you have a Blackberry data plan with at&t? My brother has a Blackberry but wants to use the iPhone on weekends (by switching the SIM) but doesn't want to switch from his Blackberry plan. Is this possible?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It works with T-Mobile, as long as the phone is unlocked -- Blackberries do a number of tricks to get data but they also support the normal APN, so Blackberry plans should always include cellular data services. It should work fine with unlocked (EDGE) iPhones with AT&T. I'm not so sure about locked (3G) iPhones.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

yes it works no problem.

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Is it possible to use mail, safari etc. on the iPhone if you have a Blackberry data plan with at&t? My brother has a Blackberry but wants to use the iPhone on weekends (by switching the SIM) but doesn't want to switch from his Blackberry plan. Is this possible?
Should be possible, though certain functions (e.g., visual vm) won't work. Does your brother know anyone with an iPhone? If so, he can just slip in his BB SIM card to test.

I'm curious, though, how does he plan to purchase the iPhone without a data plan? When I bought my iPhone, they automatically migrated my BB data plan over to an iPhone plan.

Van Wildonher

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
Yes it works, only thing is AT&T nags you about it. VVM won't work as far as I know. I only used it for a month though. FYI.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
It will work just fine as long as the iphone is unlocked. You will only lose visual voicemail. Everything else will work just fine.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Why is locking at all relevant to this question?

Because of the way the iphone registers itself to the att network. You will lose a lot of functions relating to the data plan on the blackberry when you put that sim into a locked iphone. It will work, but when the sim card goes back into the blackberry, the blackberry will not function 100% as all the media net stuff stops working.

He asking about switching the sim card between an iphone and a blackberry. I'm offering my help since I do the same thing. It was a pain when the internet didn't work on my blackberry because i took the sim and put it into my iphone and back again.

The iphone needs to be unlocked to prevent that problem.

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
I think mrtune is wrong here. I have an iPhone 3g, locked to at&t. I swapped my blackberry's sim into it the day I got it (enterprise plan), and I've never had an issue (except, as people have said, visual vm doesn't work). The phone works fine whether it's jailbroken or not.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I think mrtune is wrong here. I have an iPhone 3g, locked to at&t. I swapped my blackberry's sim into it the day I got it (enterprise plan), and I've never had an issue (except, as people have said, visual vm doesn't work). The phone works fine whether it's jailbroken or not.

I'm not talking about the iphone. That will work right. The problem lies when you put the sim card back into the blackberry. The blackberry will be missing features.

With the iphone you only lose the vm which is no big deal. With the blackberry you will lose the media net stuff, which means the internet will not work fully with it. You might even lose the ability to get emails, but I can't confrim that. The blackberry is heavily dependent on its data plan.

It was very frustrating for me the first time it happened. That's why I'm sharing now. So other's can avoid it.

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
I'm not talking about the iphone. That will work right. The problem lies when you put the sim card back into the blackberry. The blackberry will be missing features.

With the iphone you only lose the vm which is no big deal. With the blackberry you will lose the media net stuff, which means the internet will not work fully with it. You might even lose the ability to get emails, but I can't confrim that. The blackberry is heavily dependent on its data plan.

It was very frustrating for me the first time it happened. That's why I'm sharing now. So other's can avoid it.
Can't argue with firsthand experience. That's a bummer, mrtune...thanks for the warning.
Have you tried swapping it back into the blackberry? Would be interesting to test mrtune's claim.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Can't argue with firsthand experience. That's a bummer, mrtune...

It wasn't too bad. When it happened, I called customer service right away. We discovered after a few reboots and different things they were trying (none of which worked), that it showed me as using an iphone on the network. Once it detected the iphone, the system stopped the media net stuff since the iphone doesn't use it. He had to remove and reapply the blackberry data plan as well as me restarting my phone yet again to get it fixed.

I'll never take my sim card and put it in a locked iphone again. I learned my lesson :). So for the time being, I must wait until there is a software unlock for my iphone 3g before I use it again as a phone.

jaggunothing

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Bangalore, India
Depends on the network if access is allowed or not, AirTel network in India doesnt allow since BB has a separate APN. Even with BB device, this plan will not allow 3rd party apps to connect to internet!

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
You need to delete the proxy within ATT Medianet when SIM swapping with iphone

This has been discussed numberous times.

When putting an active ATT SIM card into an iPhone, the ATT system does weird things into your account and will sometimes kill your medianet connections when you put the ATT SIM back into a regular non iphone

So you need to delete the ATT proxy settings in your regular phone or blackberry.

The blackberry browser is a little tricky. I use an unlocked tmobile branded Curve 8320 sometimes on the ATT network. I switch SIMs all the time between my iphone and the BB Curve 8320.

I manually changed the APN on the blackberry without any proxy settings. I cannot access ATT medianet sites but who cares. I never visit those sites any ways.

I am unable to use the blackberry browser because of my SIM switches between iphone and blackberry.

However, if you download opera mini browser, you should be able to use the data via that browser.

Just do a search about deleting ATT proxy settings with iPhone. There are lots of topics on this matter.

FYI: The Apple iPhone does not use any proxy with the ATT wireless settings.

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
However, if you download opera mini browser, you should be able to use the data via that browser.
Interesting...I personally think Opera Mini is much better than the BB browser anyway, so that sounds like a good solution.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
If you lose the blackberry browser, won't you lose the ability to download OTA software packages? I believe they dependent on the blackberry browser?

Luqven

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2009
Video Walkthrough

Took me a while to figure it out but after a day or two i FINALLY found a simple way to make it work. You have be jail-broken and unlocked but doing that isn't really all that difficult. Instead of making lengthy instructions i decided to just make a video, let me know it helped :)
Lq.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIoci2xwTy0

AreYouIn?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I know this thread has been dead for a year but rather than start a new one I thought I would revive this one.

I have a blackberry (curve 9300) and I love it. My old iphone 3gs has a much better browser and I am going through browser withdrawals. I want to be able to switch between the 2 and still maintain all of my blackberry features. I love everything but the internet on it.

Do I have to unlock my 3gs to be able to use my blackberry data plan? I have read numerous post that say I do and I don't. I'm looking for some clarification.

Do I need to jailbreak my iphone to keep the blackberry features? I'm running ios 4.2.1 on it currently. I don't mind jailbreaking it now that I have the blackberry, before the iphone was my only AT&T phone and didn't want to risk bricking it.

I just want to be able to use the iphone for a day or 2 then switch back. I can't stand the constant autocorrect fails on the iphone.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
This has been discussed numberous times.

When putting an active ATT SIM card into an iPhone, the ATT system does weird things into your account and will sometimes kill your medianet connections when you put the ATT SIM back into a regular non iphone

So you need to delete the ATT proxy settings in your regular phone or blackberry.

The blackberry browser is a little tricky. I use an unlocked tmobile branded Curve 8320 sometimes on the ATT network. I switch SIMs all the time between my iphone and the BB Curve 8320.

I manually changed the APN on the blackberry without any proxy settings. I cannot access ATT medianet sites but who cares. I never visit those sites any ways.

I am unable to use the blackberry browser because of my SIM switches between iphone and blackberry.

Just do a search about deleting ATT proxy settings with iPhone. There are lots of topics on this matter.

FYI: The Apple iPhone does not use any proxy with the ATT wireless settings.

Took me a while to figure it out but after a day or two i FINALLY found a simple way to make it work. You have be jail-broken and unlocked but doing that isn't really all that difficult. Instead of making lengthy instructions i decided to just make a video, let me know it helped :)
Lq.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIoci2xwTy0

The solution to this has been posted before...let me see if I can link to the post.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/846396/

Go down to my post on it and I explain it in detail on how to accomplish it and not lose any of the features of either phone.

Interesting. Any more experiences in this space?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.