Using iPhone with car's stereo via Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ttech10, Jun 29, 2009.

1. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Alright, so with the new 3.0 software A2DP Stereo Bluetooth is now working. Now I've been wanting to get a new stereo receiver and was looking at the new Sony Xplod BT5700U, which of course is Bluetooth compatible.

I already know that you can use the iPhone with it via phone calls, but I was wondering about if I can play audio through Bluetooth and if the head unit will display the song names?

Here's a link to the exact unit. I'm hoping it should be a simple question since I'm sure other people have at least tried to do this with their Bluetooth head units.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665755310

2. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I have an older model Xplod and it sync fine. The head unit shows it's synced but I don't remember (only done it once since my commute is short) exactly what info is shown (I have a window mount and was watching the iPhone more).

3. ttech10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, that's good to hear. Not having the info on screen doesn't bother me too much, but it'd be nice to have.

4. paul100 macrumors newbie

It sounds great guys, but does pioneer car stereo offer something like this (coz i have pioneer audio system in my car) so that I can attach my iPhone to my car audio system.

5. ttech10 thread starter macrumors 6502

It should be able to, as long as it has Bluetooth.

6. xjames macrumors member

I just got the Pioneer DEH 710BT

It is amazing, and works great with ipods and iphone:

It auto-connects with the iphone bluetooth! My previous pioneer unit wouldn't.

BT audio works flawlessly.

The iphone phonebook is seen automatically by the head-unit without importing, and the head unit itself has voice-recognition that works great. Alas, its just for calling, not for playing music.

The menu to control the iphone/ipod is fast. Ultra-responsive, and you can scroll via alphabet letters to get to the song/artist you want quickly.

Even tho it controls your iphone, you can still control the iphone from the iphone. know what I mean? Strangely, my old ipod wasn't controlable.

So that's the skinny. Very happy with this head-unit. Just the auto-connect with the bluetooth makes it for me.

Oh, and it has a nifty steering-wheel remote.

7. ttech10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, I have mine working great. Loving it.

I have a small question, though. If you leave Bluetooth on the iPhone on but it's not connected to anything, does that use much battery?

8. xjames macrumors member

it does use battery, although I've never tested to see how much.
    I leave mine on, and usually it lasts me through the day, although I do play games a lot... which uses a lot more.

9. drexel99 macrumors member

I just got teh 710bt as well but I'm having a minor issue. The contact list from my iphone is displaying on the pioneer radio backwards. i.e. last name first. This is causing some problems for the voice activation. I always have to say the last name of the contact first. Any of you guys know how to fix this. I've tried changing the display and sort order in the iphones settings but that doesn't seem to help. need some guidance here.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Got the unit in November and having the same problem. I just started to use voice control backwards, and it still works okay, just kind of confusing when you have to remember to speak last name first.

11. drexel99 macrumors member

Well at least I'm not the only one. hopefully someone on hear will be able to provide some help. I am going to try tomorrow to reset the bluetooth connection to see if that fixes it.