Using iPhone with Vine Server on Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by upsguy27, Jun 29, 2009.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Okay, so I'm on a trip right now, and before I left I set my Mac to run Vine Server, and I made sure the server was running, then I input the external IP, port, and password into Mocha VNC Lite on my iPhone. It tried to connect for a bit and then failed. I didn't have time to figure it out so I left. Now I'm trying to connect again, and I can figure out what's wrong. I know the computer is still on and running the server, with the same IP and settings. And the iPhone has those same settings, and yet it still times out. I can't figure out why... I've sucessfully connected using this same program in the past... Why isn't it working now? Do I need to be connected to WiFi? I'm just on 3G. What's wrong?

2. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

3. rasputinj macrumors regular

the first thing to check is if you can telnet to the IP and port. If you can do that maybe it only works via Wifi.

4. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Trying to connect via SSH on my laptop at a public WiFi spot... Here's what I get:

ssh: connect to host 130.13.18.87 port 5900: Operation timed out

So, what's wrong?

5. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

SSH is port 22, VNC is port 5900.

*edit*
    Also did you port forward to the proper port in your router?

6. zrbecker macrumors member

Check your password. I belive VNC is limited to 8 character passwords, and on Ubuntu it was kind of hard to tell that it limited you. So, if you picked a password longer than 8 characters, try just typing the first 8.

Other than that you may need to wait till you can get access to the machine to make sure it is set up properly.

7. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

How do I do that?

My password is 6 characters.

I'm going to tell the person who has access to my home Mac to enable FTP and try to connect from that.