iPhone XS Using iPhone without case, would it scratch/scuff the camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blackbirdz, Nov 8, 2018.

1. blackbirdz macrumors member

iPhone Xr/Xs/Max - all have protruding camera. If you don't use a casing at all and you often pick up the phone and put it back on the flat table, the phone would sometimes move a bit here there on the table because my workbook bump the phone - question is: will the camera lens eventually get scratch, scuffs, not crystal clear anymore due to friction with the table surface? It's like the lens is rubbing the table. Let me know your thought, I personally don't like case.

2. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

Used my X for an entire year, lens is pristine. Some micro scratches on the back glass, especially diagonally across from the lens, not too noticeable. Some small scratches on the stainless steel (silver version), these are easily polished off with cape cod cloth.

3. Starship67 Suspended

Starship67

It’s a sapphire glass lens cover highly scratch resistant.

4. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

It’s not as durable as you would want.

Tonight my wife discovered a deep scratch that runs right through the wide angle camera on her otherwise mint new XS. Now every time she points it at a light source it flares in the shape of the scratch badly.

I’m dreading finding out how much this fix is going to cost. We both use clear TPU type cases by the way, I am upgrading to a leather one to give a bit more separation for the camera.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It’s actually a sapphire coating, its not a full sapphire composition, but it is very scratch resistant, and it’s very rare to see those who have scratched such a small area on the iPhone.

6. naturalguy macrumors regular

I think it's crazy not to use a case, these are glass phones

7. draa macrumors member

draa

I‘ve been using my 7+ without a case for almost 2 years and got no scratches on the cam although I have a lot of micro scratches on the back of the phone.

8. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

I can't say it won't happen, but used my X all of last year naked and no scratches or scuffs anywhere including the camera, and I am using my Max naked and nothing so far. Just be mindful.

9. Ahiqar macrumors member

10. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Be smart. Marble & other hard materials like cement will scratch the phone/camera. Ironically, I’ve seen ‘pro’ reviewers place naked phones on both.

11. draa macrumors member

draa

True but on the other side: I never HAD to put my phone on surfaces like that the last 2 years.

12. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Remember the iPhone 4 and 4s?

Yeah, they had glass backs before these new phones. You may think it's crazy, but people who don't use cases and had the 4 and 4s way back in 2010-2011 already know how to handle phones with glass backs. It's not like it's a new experience for them.

13. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I just posted this in another thread on the same topic but hey, why not.

The steel bezel surrounding my lens cover has taken the damage while the cover itself is flawless. The two nicks circled are significant enough to catch a fingernail.

InkedIMG_0007_LI.jpg

14. naturalguy macrumors regular

All it takes is one drop.......

15. chanerz macrumors 65816

Just put your phone in a different pocket. Don’t put phone and keys/change at the same pocket.