Using iPhone without service on firmware 2.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by upsguy27, Apr 16, 2008.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I currently have my iPhone jailbroken and "activated" under no service, there is no SIM card in the phone. When 2.0 comes out, what should I do? I know that there will probably be a jailbreak for 2.0, but I just want the clean firmware. What would happen if I just upgraded straight from iTunes to 2.0 with a jailbroken activated phone? I know my apps would no longer show up, but I don't care about that. Could I still use the phone? Or would it just say "Activate Phone"? And could I still use the App Store without a SIM card? Thanks!

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Pwnage can take care of that for you.

3. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

i guess you would have to activate it again ... like with every other iphone not officially with contract ... so you would like the previous poster suggested use pwnage
    you could probably use the app store over wifi ... without a sim once you activated the phone...or you just put a sim card in the phone ...! (just saying since that´s what they are for and all...:) )

4. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

So when 2.0 comes out I just download the 2.0 ipsw and put it into Pwnage, and run it, and it will work? What will be there and what won't? Will my apps still be there? Themes? Google Maps MyLoaction working? Youtube?

5. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

everything should work .. at least it looks like it up to this point but i´m pretty sure the apps will be gone since it´s ot really a regular update but a new install but i guess we´ll find out in june maybe there will be a new version of pwnage with more features than the one that´s out right now