Using iphone4 *brought in Canada* in HK/China, any issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edifier, Aug 22, 2010.

1. edifier macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I plan to purchase an iphone4 at Apple store in Vancouver, I will be travelling to HK and China in October, I understand the iphone4 should already been unlocked (since I purchased it from the Apple store not thru my carrier), but I was told the SIM card size will be different in HK/China so I might have problems using my phone overseas. Does anyone have experience using an iphone4 (brought in Canada) in HK or China? Also any experience with Apple's world travel adapter kit, does it worth the money, or should I just buy any adapter in HK? Thanks.

2. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

There is not going to be a different SIM size in the iPhone 4 in HK. There is no space to put a regular standard SIM, that is why Apple went with the micro version. Your Canadian bought phone will work fine in HK as long as it is officially unlocked.

I'm sure a tech mecca like HK probably already offers Micro SIMs and if they dont - just cut it down to size so it fits. Loads of guides/youtube videos showing how to cut it.

Its not an issue at all really.

3. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Hope you aren't planning to come up any time soon. Both Apple stores here are sold out and there are overnight camp-outs still happening.

4. edifier thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys!

OMGitsShan: I think you're right, my friend had issues with his 3G iphone in HK because it was using a regular standard SIM not micro-SIM. I believe I can easily get a micro-SIM in HK or China.

trekkie604: I went to both Oakridge and Pacific Centre Apple Store the other day they were all sold out, an Apple employee said they had people camped out the night before. I will probably order one online, since the phone will be unlocked and I will guarantee to receive one in 3 weeks (or hopefully sooner).

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Your friend probably had issues because the unlock was unofficial, not because of the sim card (iPhone 3G used normal mini-SIMs and weren't officially unlocked in Canada). A factory unlocked phone should have no such issues. Best would be to get a microsim, but if you can't, cutting down a mini-SIM to appropriate size would work fine. I've personally done this with AT&T SIMs with no issue at all

6. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

I'm sure there are carrier(s) in HK that provides micro SIMs to be used with iPhone 4s and iPads, but China is certainly another story.

The only carrier capable of running UMTS/WCDMA in China is Unicom and it hasn't released any detail about the iPhone 4/iPad launch yet, 2-year contract customers will no doubt be getting micro SIMs with their iPhone 4s, however whether Unicom will offer micro SIMs for other voice plans is still uncertain.

Oh and plugs in China look like this:

[​IMG]

If you don't have this one in your travel kit, don't worry, a USB-outlet adapter costs about $4 in China.

7. draz macrumors 6502a

So... just like the regular plugs in North America.. cool

8. MSUSpartanKing macrumors newbie

That's just in China... we have different ones in Hong Kong... same as the one you will see in UK... something like this : http://www.welcome2hongkong.com/tag/plug

As for micro-SIM... we do have it here ... not sure if you can get the pay-as-you-go tho... or you can just simply cut it out yourself! :D

9. ikaveh macrumors regular

iphone 4 is also being sold in apple HK online store for about the same price and it is unlocked.