Using iPod Touch as a Phone w/Skype or Google Voice plus Verizon MiFi

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by spitboy2000, Apr 3, 2010.

1. spitboy2000 macrumors member

I'm prepared to chuck my iphone and use ipod Touch with skype to act as phone. With a MiFi, I figure I can always get and receive calls. Just run Skype all the time -- make it a dedicated iPod Touch.

But i'm having a problem figuring out how to do this while being able to get and receive SMS texts. Skype will send out SMS, but not receive them, it appears.

Has anyone done this? Know how to get around this problem?

2. Nobylspoon macrumors member

I call mine iPhony. I am using Clear with Clear Spot which is similar to the Mifi but runs on the 4G Wimax network. For voice I use Skype, paid for a phone number and subscribbed to the unlimited US and Canada package. I am currently using the earbuds with built in mic with it.

For texting I am using the Pinger TextFree app, they have a free version which has a cap on daily usage and ads but the pro is $5 and offers unlimited ad free texting. They even provide and email-like address for people to use to text you.

If you have a 3rd Gen Touch you can benifit from the upcoming OS4 update that will notify you of Skype calls without having the application open. Currently the calls will go to voicemail unless you have the app open.

3. wvcachi macrumors newbie

I've been doing the "iPhony" thing too, and am very happy with it.

btw you don't have to wait for iOS 4 to keep Skype running for incoming calls, as long as you're jailbroken. Backgrounder will keep it going, and then to stay connected to wifi, turn auto-lock off ('Settings'>'General') & get Cydia app ScreenDimmer to make your screen turn off as if it was locking.

*(some recommend Cydia apps Insomnia or KeepAwake to maintain wifi connection, but they cause a bug that messes with your all-important external microphone, which is a big no-no for Skype)