Using iPod Touch with Huawei network stick

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Zorba1, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Zorba1 macrumors newbie

Is it possible to connect my Alltel Huawei connect stick to the iPod touch? I know it does not have a USB port, but I was thinking I could use a pair of female connectors spliced so that the Data stick could connect to the USB cable that comes with the iPod. Before I go and make the connection cable however I wanted to ask if anyone had done that.
    As all know, if you are not in a wifi hot spot there is no internet or mail capability so I thought this might work as a reasonable hack for connectivity.
    George
    South Florida

2. jampat macrumors 6502a

You need a host controller for USB. The ipod does not have one and I would be incredibly surprised if the USB stick did. That is why typically the computer has to be the middle man between most devices (ie, you can not plug a usb stick into a portable hard drive). Something needs to initialize each device and control the data transfer. Most(all?) plug in devices will respond to requests, but are unable to communicate directly without the host controller.

It's a cool idea though. There is an intermediate device available that says it acts as a host controller (about ipod size), but I have only heard about the problems they cause and have never heard of a success story when using them.

3. jchampoux macrumors newbie

WiFi connection

Cradlepoint makes a product that will allow you to plug a cellular modem ,or tethered phone and use that data connection. It is a Wifi hotspot for up to 16 devices. I own the CTR350 which also has a WAN/LAN port also.

4. Zorba1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks jchampoux and jampat for your replies. I am sending an email to Cradlepoint to see what they might add to my idea for an iPod touch hack.
    Cheers,
    George

5. Zorba1 thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks like I'm in business, thanks

I'm glad I posted my question and thank you who responded. Cradlepoint has a router that will be perfect for my application and no need to do any hack to the iPod Touch. Their PHS300 router is portable with long term battery support and as I guess you know, creates my own WiFi hotspot where ever I am. This will let me travel with the iPod Touch in my pocket instead of my briefcase and the laptop on short trips. I think I can use it on my sailboat as well and some of the weather and nav apps will be just what I need on board - especially if the boat batteries should fail.
    Thank you for your input and suggestions,
    Regards,
    George:)