Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtjstevens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Sheffield + Bath UK
Have just bought a 40gB iPod and wish to use it as a part storage device (i.e. another hard-drive).
I've enabled this on the Mac but when I plug it into the firewire port of my PC the PC wishes to format the drive and thus trash all of my contacts/songs etc. Is there a work-around apart from networking the PC + Mac and getting the Mac to read shared folders and then download them to the iPod?

If I do PC format the iPod, will I still be able to use it with the Mac?

Thanks,

Richard (UK)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
rtjstevens said:
Have just bought a 40gB iPod and wish to use it as a part storage device (i.e. another hard-drive).
I've enabled this on the Mac but when I plug it into the firewire port of my PC the PC wishes to format the drive and thus trash all of my contacts/songs etc. Is there a work-around apart from networking the PC + Mac and getting the Mac to read shared folders and then download them to the iPod?

If I do PC format the iPod, will I still be able to use it with the Mac?

Thanks,

Richard (UK)
You can't do anything about this on the Mac side, but there is a simple fix - PC format the iPod. Since the Mac OS can read from and write to FAT32 drives (which is the format for PC iPods), it'll work well (as a drive) on the Mac and PC. Don't install iTunes on the PC (if you have it installed, tell iTunes not to automatically open when the iPod is connected - this can be found in the iPod options), since you can't synchronize two music libraries to the iPod at once.

devwild

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2004
wrldwzrd89 said:
Don't install iTunes on the PC (if you have it installed, tell iTunes not to automatically open when the iPod is connected - this can be found in the iPod options), since you can't synchronize two music libraries to the iPod at once.

Actually this won't matter as long as you don't have it set to automatically sync, or try to manually. I personally don't use that feature at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.