using iPt as HID (external touchpad)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by mmulin, Feb 7, 2008.

1. mmulin macrumors 6502

With its the multi touch capabilities I would imagine, the iPt makes a great external "trackpad" for my MB. Remember, the Newton and Palms could be used as external tablet in conjunction with some software. Is there anything in the works for the iPt vs Macs?

..just dreaming along of a better world

2. Darkjenso macrumors regular

in short no, or at least not as far as i know, but it could be possible, if you want to make one then be my guest

3. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

I had a fun idea, this reminded me of it....

Take a laptop skeleton, with only a bettery, keyboard, and LCD, and where the trackpad would go , there would be a slot for the IPT, where, it supplied the processer, WI-FI, memory, and everything else, and it would be charged by the battery on the laptop skeleton, to increse battery life. Also, the processer would be brought up to full 700MHZ, and a copper block, with cooling would keep it at the right temps. The laptop, could be even thinner, and MUCH cheaper than the air... but less powerfull. There would also have to be a "dormant" os version that would have to be stored on the IPT, a full blown OSX would be nise, or a more mobile version would be nice. this would be activated when the IPT was plugged into the computer. Also, you could have 3 options for what the IPT would display : a small shot of the screen, a basic trackpad, of your choice color, and a plain picture.

Hows that for an idea :eek: Oh yes, and BTW, this is MY idea... and i am going to try and inplement it. SO, PLEASE DO NOT claim this idea was yours.

4. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

That's one of the best ideas I've heard in a while, it would be pretty cool.