Using Itunes after Jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by briankeith513, Mar 9, 2011.

1. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Ok, so I finally built of the nerves to jailbreak my Iphone 4. What should I expect to be the experience now in using Itunes? What do I need to do differently? Can I still backup, sync, etc the same as if I'm not Jailbroken? And what do I do if a ios update becomes available? Will it force me to update? Or will it give me the option to skip the update and just sync normally or just backup my phone?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Everything thru itunes will work and sync fine.
    If there's an update you will get a popup window like this:

[​IMG]

You can then hit cancel and check the box "Do not ask me Again"
    It wont bother you after that and if you really want to update later all you do is plug in your iphone and click check for update.

[​IMG]

3. briankeith513 thread starter macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Very good info, thanks!

Sent from my VZW iPhone using Tapatalk

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

:D That's awesome that you came up with that graphic. I almost spit my beer onto my keyboard, because I was laughing so hard.

ETA: the red arrow was a nice touch

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Interestingly, muscle nerd posted a terminal script to help keep the fools from accidentally updating with that trigger finger of theirs.

7. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So if your phone is JB you don't have to restore it before updating to a new version of iOS?

Will you lose anything from your phone?

8. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

If you are jb and you update to the new iOS you will lose your jailbreak, and all your apps tweaks that you have installed from cydia. There is no untethered jailbreak for 4.3 yet.

9. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

sorry I should have been more clear, I meant like photos and contacts, apps from iTunes and that sorta thing...I understand the JB stuff will be gone, but will legit stuff still be there?

10. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

JB noob here - what is meant by an untethered jailbreak? As opposed to a tethered jailbreak? I know what tethering is, it just isn't clear to me what a tethered jailbreak would mean. Thanks.

11. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you actually bothered to search, you'd know the answer and you'd only be a clueless newbie, instead of a non-MR searching newbie. :rolleyes:

12. kre62 macrumors 68000

Yeah, EJ, this gets asked 40 times a day. But I'll tell you that a tethered jb has nothing to do with tethering, it means you have to connect the phone to a computer and do a special boot process if you ever restart the phone. Untethered means you can restart, power off, etc the phone and turn it back on w/o needing to connect it to anything (i.e. works like stock)