Using iTunes with unlocked iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shuffles, Apr 22, 2008.

1. shuffles macrumors 6502

shuffles

Im thinking of buying an unlocked iPhone and was wondering if i can connect it to my iTunes or will it be bricked if i do so? Also, does it matter if I buy one from the US? Its cheaper from there!

Cheers,

Shuffles!

2. sananda macrumors 68020

yes, itunes works with an unlocked iphone. isn't the 8GB cheaper in england than the US?

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

You do know how the dollar is doing right now, do you?:confused:

To the OP, there is zero risks in bricking the iPhone now. and unlocked phones work just like locked ones with itunes.

4. sananda macrumors 68020

the 8GB iphone is $399 (not including tax) which is £201.19 whereas it is £169 including tax in england (at o2 and cpw).

5. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Did someone say you should disable automatic software updates?

So when I connect say an 8Gb iPhone to my iTunes which has say 50gb+ of songs and movies and is currently in synch with my iPod what happens?

Do I get a choice of what to synch with my iphone?...does itunes recognize it as a seperate device with different information on it to my iPod?

6. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

You don't have to but you should disable automatic software updates.

When you connect your Iphone to ITunes you sync it just like an Ipod. You can choose what you want on it.

7. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

It's got £100 off until 1st June at 02 then presumably it goes back to being more expensive than the US.

8. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Ok cool, can I install updates for it when they are released like i do with my ipod touch or will apple recognize that its unlocked? I've heard that if the iphone is a certain version ie 1.1.3 etc it will be bricked if u install the updates and to avoid this you have to bring the version back down to 1.1.2 or whatever. If thats the case ill prob just get a legit one instead

9. icantbelieveit macrumors member

Nah its really easy, i unlocked one today with ziphone. It came as a 1.1.2 version, and i wanted the 1.1.4, so i used ziphone to unlock and activate, then once i could access my iphone interface on itunes, i just updated to 1.1.4 which relocked the phone, and just re-activated and unlocked with ziphone again, took about 10mins total, i cant believe its so simple to unlock!

10. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Geography Lesson

Dublin Ireland is not actually in England, for those of you fascinated by the £/$ exchange rate and the price in O2 and CPW.

It's in Ireland. There is a sea between Ireland and England, shows up quite clearly on Google Maps. Ireland uses the Euro and the 8Gb iPhone there costs 399 of them, with 45 more each month for the basic contract :)

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Updates will likely break unlocks, if not "brick" the phone. I say brick in quotes because it's nearly always possible to get the phone back to an unbricked state, but you can't just install new software willy-nilly. Hacking around with basebands is tricky stuff, unlike a jailbreak which isn't nearly as dangerous.

12. sananda macrumors 68020

i think everyone realises this. the op suggested buying from the us because s/he thought it was cheaper than ireland and instead i suggested buying from england as it is, in fact, at the moment cheaper than both the us and ireland.

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

PM me if you are still interested. I actually sell unlocked iPhones on eBay worldwide.

14. gojesus123 macrumors newbie

Hi how much do you sell the iphone for? do you have iphone 3G 16GB & where are you located at?