using iWeb for a business??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by silbeej, Sep 26, 2007.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

I work for a golf driving range, and i was thinking about setting up a website. Now we have web space, but it was never used, and i am wondering if it's legit to use iWeb to build this site. I have dreamweaver, but iWeb does a better job, and it seems like this is a stupid question, but since it's loaded with "built on a mac" stuff, i just wanted to check it out.

Thanks

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

You can remove (or add) the 'Made on a Mac' buttons.

I've seen business websites designed using iWeb an various forums, so give it a try and see if you like the results.

3. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

It isn't a matter of if i like the results, lol, its a mac. I wanted to make sure that i wouldn't get a little letter in the mail one day that said i was in the hole. But thanks for the info.

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I probably wouldn't do it, as iWeb generates horrible, bloated code. But some people have fewer options available to them than I do. I wouldn't say it's a terrible idea, just not what I would do.

If search engine rankings are important to you, you'd also want to be very careful to use Web-safe fonts, so iWeb doesn't generate image text. Also, figure out if you manually separate the page titles and page names. I assume you can, after exporting.

5. akishimo macrumors newbie

akishimo

Silbeej, I think they misunderstood your question but I get what you mean. I don't think it will be a problem...in my opinion at least. The design templates are there for all to use so there's no copyright issues in that area. To be safe you could change some objects to your own pics, customise a bit here and there, which you most probably will do anyway to suit your company.

There's no difference if you typed in the html/css coding yourself and grabbing it from iWeb, they are all pretty basic layouts that any web-savvy person can do. (I mean it's not as if there is a mac-specific technology in there)