Using iWeb to Publish website on MobileMe - HELP! :-(

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amitdoc2b, Jan 27, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Hi.

Many years back, I used to have a website on freewebs (now known as web dot com). I would pay a monthly fee to host it and publish directly through their website by accessing my account online. Recently, I visited the site and found it still exists.. only that it has lots of advertisements on it since I don't pay a monthly fee anymore.

Now that I have a Mac, I wanted to use iWebs to create a new website. It says I can use MobileMe to publish the website I create with iWebs. So my questions are:

(1) Will MobileMe act as my new host to which I pay the yearly subscription fee?

(2) My previous host had a charge for the amount of gigabytes I published , site traffic (bandwidth), etc.. what are my limits for MobileMe?

(3) The main reason I was considering to purchase a MobileMe account is so I can use it as my host for a website published through iWebs '09 since they say thats the easiest way to publish. I would use the other MobileMe non-website features if I bought a subscription, but really would not purchase it unless it was for this website publishing tool. Do you think its worth it?

(4) Is there anything different about using MobileMe as a website host than my previous host (i.e. freewebs)?

(5) I had purchased a website name on GoDaddy which I still own. I used to redirect my freewebs site to this website name I had purchased on GoDaddy. Can I redirect my MobileMe hosted website to this website name i purchased on GoDaddy just like I used to do with my old Freewebs site?

(6) I don't see anything on the MobileMe page at Apple Store giving information about hosting charges, maximum limits, bandwidth, etc. It mostly just talks about publishing photo albums, e-mail, contacts, calendars, etc. Is there anything important I need to know about using MobileMe as my sole host for publishing a website?

Thanks so much for your help!!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find all your answers by spending some time at the MobileMe site, reviewing the tutorials, reading the FAQ. It's all there.

3. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi.

I am sorry.. I couldn't find the information I was looking for on that site. The tutorial section says "what is Mobile Me, Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Gallery, iDisk". I am looking for more information about hosting limits on MobileMe and answers to my above questions about the integration of iWebs and MobileMe in comparison to my old host.

Thanks again!

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Ok I'll address 1 question at a time:
    1) Yes, MobileMe will be the new host for $99 a year after your 30 day trial. Signing up for the trial requires a credit card, however, during the trial you can cancel the rollover into the standard membership and not be billed.
    2) Standard membership, with no upgrades has 20 GB of combined email/file storage, part of which is allocated towards your iWeb site. Default sizing is a 50/50 split, with 10 GB for email, and 10 GB for your site or anything that you would publish to the MobileMe Gallery for public/private viewing. You have the ability to adjust if you want more space for email or more for storage at any time. You can purchase an additional 20 GB or an additional 40 GB, bringing the total to 40 or 60 GB total. The bandwidth limit will be 10 times the storage; so for 20 GB (standard) you have 200 GB, 40:400, 60:600.
    3) This is more of a subjective question. The other features of the membership are nice but are not really that big a selling factor unless you have multiple computers and an iPhone or iPod touch.
    4) There shouldn't be much of a difference between publishing with MobileMe or web dot com. Make a site, publish, anyone who wants to see it can visit.
    5) This is called a personal domain, and it can be set up in a 2 step process. You enter in the personal domain in your account information on www.me.com, and you pass along the CNAME to GoDaddy and they will either configure it for you or tell you how to do it.
    6) Already addressed the pricing/bandwidth in 1. Most important thing to remember: MobileMe is a consumer service. Do not run a business solely off this service, it WILL go down for maintenance and is not guaranteed to be accessible 100% of the time.

oops, just saw that, good eye ggjstudios...

5. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you so much for answering all my questions. I really appreciate it. In your personal opinion, do you feel mobileme's $99 price tag is justified if i was solely using it for web hosting? It seems it is because you can have 20gb space and 200gb bandwidth for this $99. On webs dot com, it costs the same price for 5gb space and 25gb bandwidth.

6. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for this link, it was greatly appreciated and informative!

7. jersm2 macrumors newbie

More than 1 Site

What if im looking to have multiple websites through iweb 09? Can mobileme host just 1 site or can it do more? I cant seem to find the answer anywhere.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

sheesh. just answer his question. a google link is useful... but this is a forum. people post questions, we put the answers. this forum wouldn't be as great as it was if we just responded to every question with a google link. :p

yes, you can manage multiple websites.

all your websites will show up with this url scheme: http://web.me.com/username/site1

and http://web.me.com/username/site2
    and so on.

If you use a personal domain, your websites will show up like this:
    http://personaldomain.com/site1
    http://personaldomain.com/site2

hope that helps

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I did answer his question! I even did the search for him! If someone is too lazy to click a couple links to read the answer, they're not going very far! I know there may be a lot of babies in these forums, but that doesn't mean we have to spoon-feed them answers. A link answers the question without having to type a long reply. No sense re-typing something that's already been typed. Relax!