Using iWork to read Office files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by c073186, Jan 30, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

For those who have used iWork '08, how well does it import Office files? Is it a very involved process? For example, if I have a lot of Office files (Word, mainly), can I easily view them by just double-clicking or do I have to go into iWork and then do an Import process? And, when I asked how well it worked, are most of the features supported? Or do documents often get messed up in terms of formatting? Thanks.

2. Mitou macrumors regular

I use iwork exclusively and I love it; I get word documents and I have set up things so that when I click on them they open in pages no big deal no problems. Powerpoint to keynote is a little more problematic but not a big issue for me. I do not use numbers or excel but I think that numbers is a baby next to the giant MS Excel so if that is an important function for you it will cause difficulties.
    Cheers

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It depends a great deal on the formatting of the source Word documents. Most documents come through the translation just fine, but you will no doubt be warned about formatting features which are not supported by Pages. So far, I haven't seen any that really mattered.

4. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is good to hear. I mainly use Word. I have Office '08 and am really sick of it and am planning on buying iWork. But I still have to be able to read / use all my Word docs. And if I need Excel, I'll have it. Thanks for the replies.