using Japanese i6/6+ in the US (vzw)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pesos, Nov 27, 2014.

1. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

We are moving back to the states in a couple of weeks and will need to get phones. I still have my family in the states on a Verizon family plan, so makes the most sense to add on to that (would be willing to switch to Tmobile if my mom didn't live in the boonies in Texas - I'm afraid she won't have a good experience as the phone is her only internet connection and it looks like nothing but "service partner" as far as coverage in her area).

I'm having trouble finding definitive information about the LTE bands and whether or not we can buy an i6 here in Japan and subsequently use it on Verizon. Does anyone know if this is definitely possible?

Thanks all, and Happy Thanksgiving to those back in the states. :D

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

Why do you want a Japanese iPhone 6 if you are moving to the US in two weeks? Just get a Verizon one here, far as I know it will work in Japan if you visit (assuming carriers will give you a SIM for the iPhone, they sure wouldn't when I lived there unless you bought a phone from them).

3. pesos thread starter macrumors 6502a

pesos

Actually from everything I've read only the Sprint model (which appears to be the same model being sold over here in Japan) has the TD LTE bands in addition to the standard 16 LTE bands on the ATT/VZW models. So if we do buy a Verizon phone, we wont' be able to take advantage of LTE when we are back in Japan. Not the end of the world, but it does seem pretty clear that the Sprint model is preferable. Would also be nice for us to be able to "hit the ground running" when we land (we have a ton to accomplish with a house to finalize purchasing on and twins on the way shortly) so I'd rather not have to deal with all the phone activation and switching hassle after moving when we have time to deal with it now.