Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Has anyone else noticed this?

Macbook and Macbook Pro both running 10.5.2 - both exact same specs. Connected through Gigabit ethernet using a Netgear GS108 switch that supports Jumbo Frames.

When I set the frame size to 9000 on both computers and then screen share, both computers Kernal Panic.

Anyone else noticed this? Have submitted bug reports to Apple.

ekenny

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
New York
I just got a kernel panic today about 65 seconds after I enabled jumbo frames on my MacBook Pro using a D-Link DGS-1024D that has jumbo frame support. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with screen sharing or not. After I rebooted everything seems ok, and the jumbo frame setting has stuck. Unfortunately, I'm noticing a decrease in performance from 1500 to 9000 mtu size.

pujapuri

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
Pune
Relieved to find this thread.

We use about 10 iMacs, some Mac Pro's and a few MacBook Pro's in our office and every time we start up Remote sharing, either the client or the server suffers a kernel panic.

Every Mac is on 9000 frames and we are using the Airport Extreme (Gigabit).

Any, any, any thoughts/ideas/potential solutions anyone?

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Relieved to find this thread.

We use about 10 iMacs, some Mac Pro's and a few MacBook Pro's in our office and every time we start up Remote sharing, either the client or the server suffers a kernel panic.

Every Mac is on 9000 frames and we are using the Airport Extreme (Gigabit).

Any, any, any thoughts/ideas/potential solutions anyone?

If the problem is related to MTU 9000, you can use Terminal to enter a route that will cause the MTU to be only 1500 for the machine you are screen sharing with.

In this case, the other machines IP is 192.168.1.200, and you are connected via the Ethernet default interface en0:

sudo route add -host 192.168.1.200 -interface en0 -mtu 1500

You probably need to enter a corresponding route statement on the other machine as well in order to cure the crash, if MTU is the cause. Someone should also file a bug report with Apple; this might be a remotely exploitable security hole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.