Using Juniper to build credit while purchasing a macbook. [Advice Needed]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ~Sketchie, Jul 19, 2009.

1. ~Sketchie macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm new to this whole credit thing, I'm 19, and basically avoided it as long as possible. But in this day an age, credit is pretty much needed, and I'm looking for where to start.

I've had various jobs over the last 2 years, mostly because of transferring to college and internships and things, and my address has bounced around a bit, and recently, moved. I've been at this new address for just a few months as well. I've been working this new job for about 2 months, and it's promising.

In two more weeks, I'll have more than enough to purchase the 13" base model macbook pro, that I've been saving for. I was wondering though, if it would be wise, to use the juniper option, to purchase the mac, and just pay it off in 2-3 payments, rather than all at once, and start to build credit. I'd have the money available, but I'm just not sure if it'd be wise. I've read some pretty disconcerting stuff regarding Juniper.

Also, since I'm a pretty intensive user, (Software Developer, Graphics Designer, Video Editor) Wondering if it'd be worth waiting another month or so, and just get the 15" slightly more powerful one.

Another question, would anyone know if I'd be able to get the education discount? I finished my first year at college, but I'm not currently enrolled, as I plan to wait a year before I head back. But I'd sure like the discount, and that iPod touch they're offering :p *been wanting one of those since they came out*

Anyways, yeah, any advice anyone has for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    ~Sketchie

2. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

Best bet is to buy it on credit and then pay it off when you get your first statement. Builds credit but has the benefit of not living outside your means

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You can use the edcucation discount and apply for the Juniper card. Be waned though that since this is your first card, the approved credit limit may only be $1000, not enough to buy a MacBook and so you won't be able to buy the MacBook with it online. It will require another form of payment.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Your username makes this funnier. I would get another more reputable credit card and just pay it off there. As to your EDU discount question, you can try, but, you don't technically qualify. Apple has def. relaxed its standards when it comes to who qualifies.

5. ~Sketchie thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking either paying off with the payment plan apple has set up, *gotta check with Junipers interest rates and things first* or paying the majority cash, and just the remaining balance in the first installment or so.

Also, for the payment plan options "or as $38 a month" or whatever, would juniper be nailing me outrages fees after the first couple months ?

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Apple doesn't offer a payment plan that I know of. The ones they offer at checkout are setup through a bank that still requires a credit approval. It's basically a credit account without an actual card.

8. ~Sketchie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess it would just make more sense getting a credit card with my local bank instead. It's a very respectable bank, and neither myself, nor my family has had any problems with them for years.
    Since I have a new account, I'm not sure if they'd approve me for a limit high enough to purchase the macbook, but I could always divvy it up between credit and cash.

Thanks for the advice,
    ~Sketch

9. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

1. Juniper and all credit cards have a fixed APR, so no your fees for the first few months won't be any more outrageous than the rest of the year!

2. Applying for credit and then paying off the total amount in the first month or two will not give you a credit rating. You have to show the bank or whomever is issuing the card that you have paid off your balance each month and in a timely manner. My experience in the past is at least 6 months, but since the CC companies are now tucking it to everyone, you need to talk with Juniper or whomever and see the minimum number of months to payoff any balance to get any kind of credit rating!

3. The credit limit your local bank will give you will be based on your monthly net income after expenses.

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I think they should at least approve you for the amount of your purchase but as I said, they don't.

I applied for the Juniper card a few years ago because I wanted to buy a MacBook Pro. My credit line was approved for $1500 so it wasn't enough to buy the MacBook Pro. Instead, I drove to Circuit City and bought a HP laptop with the card and was able to get the MacBook Pro a few years later when my Credit limit was high enough.

11. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure that APR stands for adjustable percentage rate, so no that means your rate will fluctuate. However, so deals from Juniper are same as cash as long as you make at least the minumum payment. I would check the fine print to find out if there is any payoff fee. Your bank would not be a bad place to start either, however they might not have the same deals on Mac's like the juniper card will

12. ~Sketchie thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, I'd most likely try to pay off the big purchase, like my new computer, as soon as possible, and use the card more for things like cell phone bills, etc, monthly expenses that I can pay back easily.

However, I don't want to get into a situation, where I end up paying nasty fees for either misunderstanding odd terms, or something. Like the finance charges and accrued interest and things I saw in another Juniper thread. >.>

13. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

i personally would try maybe a BestBuy card if your looking for a good deal. Otherwise, i would only buy what you can afford and if possible put it on your CC, especially for large purchases, because most major CC companies and banks offer extended warranties and help dispute for you if there is a disagreement. with a check card, they already have your money and you have to fight to get it back. So, if your bank offers a good fixed CC interest rate, get one, it is always good to start building credit. Just pay off your balance monthly and you should be fine