Using just a subwoofer with a new 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Imola Ghost, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I've heard the the new iMac's have some pretty decent speakers now. So instead of cluttering up my desk, can the new iMac's be connected to just a subwoofer to add a little bass?

I see that they have a output for speakers but can you use "JUST" a subwoofer and then use the built in speakers for mids/highs?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The output jack cuts out when playing through the built-in speakers.

3. Bfat567 macrumors 6502

Bfat567

Maybe one of those old usb subwoofers? I cant recall who made them...Harmon Kardon?

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Correct. The iSub.

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

You mean the built-in speakers cut out when using the headphone/output jack.

I didn't know there was a USB option, I wonder how well that works and if it lets you use the built in speakers as well.

It would be so nice not to have speakers on my desk, but I go from using the speakers, to using the iMac's built in speakers (which are decent), to using headphones for the top-quality listening.

6. G-Force macrumors 6502a

Ehmm...

7. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

Twelve South BassJump Portable Subwoofer for MacBook Pro

I know this thread is over a year old now, but just for anyone else searching Google for an answer to this question, this is the only product I've found so far that allows you to use an external Sub with the built-in speakers. It's built for the MacBook, but would work with the iMac. I'm sure with some "modifications", it could be taken apart to drive a larger woofer if some desired...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TY274ZM/A