Using key combinations to type symbols

Discussion in 'macOS' started by orthodoc, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. orthodoc macrumors member

    Aug 25, 2002
    Does anyone know how to set a certain key combination to type a symbol. In my line of work, I commonly write up and down arrows to describe things. I am trying to find a way to use a key combo like "control u" to type an upward arrow and "control d" to type a downward arrow. I figured out how to do this in Word, but I want to make this key combo global so that it works in any program I am typing in.

    Any ideas?
  2. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

    Jun 17, 2003
    What you are describing is commonly known as "customizing the keyboard layout" or "customizing the keyboard map". A Google search turns up some instructions for OS X but it's all pretty hacky.

    A possible alternative -- if you use a usb keyboard you *might* be able to use the program USB Overdrive to map some of the keys to do what you describe.
  3. spydr macrumors 6502


    Jul 25, 2005
    I also would like to be able to add such vertical arrows and some greek characters in text. Would be great if some one figures out a way to incorporate such customized key combinations as a global behaviour.

    I do have a USB keyboard. Any suggestions for reliable (and hopefully free)USB keyboard remapping apps?

Share This Page