using keyboard skin = bad for ventilation?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soccerjoe5, Mar 1, 2008.

1. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

2. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Id think it is bad for ventilation, might not be significant, but still...why do you need a keyboard cover? This keyboard outlast usability of this machine, so why have extra protection, unless you know you are some kind of messy person and will spill something on it.

3. soccerjoe5 thread starter macrumors regular

i'd hate for my keyboard to fade or something, i saw some photos of people of their MBPs that showed the keys all worn out. the paint or whatever was off already.

4. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Ventilation comes from the grilles on either side of the keyboard. A skin won't affect it.

MacDann

5. soccerjoe5 thread starter macrumors regular

this is the photo macbookgirl posted in another thread of her 3-month old MBP's keyboard:

[​IMG]

oh cool, can anyone else confirm this? i hope this is true, i heard that either the MB or MBP uses the keyboard area for ventilation and i hope it aint the MBP :)

6. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I've had my 15" MBP for nearly two years, and the keys show no signs of wear. This must be an issue with a single computer, or a user who is really putting the thing to work...

MacDann

7. MacWin macrumors newbie

I've been using silicon cover for my MacBook Pro. So far there's not much of ventilation problem. A few advice when using such cover on Apple's laptop.

1.) Ensure that when you're not in use, remove the silicon.

2.) When you close your MacBook/Pro lid, remove the silicon. It's quite warm after using it. If not this will leave a mark on your screen.

3.) Recommended to install a temperature widget or program to keep track of your MacBook/Pro's temperature. If it hit up to 50 degree, remove your silicon for better ventilation. In other words, if your MacBook/Pro is warm remove your cover. If you're in a air-condition environment, it's fine.

8. soccerjoe5 thread starter macrumors regular

i guess so! i'm looking at my 3-year old asus lappy and some of the keys are a tad shinier than the others but they're black so i don't notice them. i guess i'm safe with the MBP's keyboard then! :)

9. soccerjoe5 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! i'd hate to have to remove the cover every time i close the lid or whatever. my MBP is arriving next week so i'll try the cover first and decide then.

i guess i'm being a bit too careful about it since this'll be my first :apple: :)

10. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Apple doesn't specifically state that blocking the keyboard affects ventilation, only that:

I wouldn't have a keyboard skin on my machine while it was closed, anyway. It would be interesting to know what the skin manufacturers recommendations are along these lines.

No, you're not. If you keep it in good shape, it will command a much better resale value when you move up to a newer model.

I highly recommend a Speck case for it. These are clear plastic cases that cover the outside of the machine and protect it from damage. I have a couple of them and am really pleased at how well they protect the case from daily wear and tear.

You can get them in a lot of cool colors now, too - when I got mine there was only clear and red....I get a lot of compliments on my "red Apple computer," too.

MacDann

11. soccerjoe5 thread starter macrumors regular

12. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I've use the iSkin since August. In my experience, it does get warmer when intense jobs are running. However, so far there has been no indication that this is occurring to any sort of dangerous level. I run the MBP closed all the time with the skin in place. Again, in my experience, it has been fine. There are screen marks that are easy to clean, but I've had some version of screen marks on every Mac laptop I've owned since my Pismo.

13. skiffx macrumors 6502a

That is one of those extremely RARE cases where somebody really did a number on a keyboard, 99% of the time, this does not occur.
    And just because vents are to the side, doesnt mean air doesnt escape from other openings as well. As Ive stated, it might not be significant, but why strain it?

Does this sound to you like something which has no effect on ventelation:
    I've been using silicon cover for my MacBook Pro. So far there's not much of ventilation problem. A few advice when using such cover on Apple's laptop.

1.) Ensure that when you're not in use, remove the silicon.

2.) When you close your MacBook/Pro lid, remove the silicon. It's quite warm after using it. If not this will leave a mark on your screen. (I wonder why its WARM...)

3.) Recommended to install a temperature widget or program to keep track of your MacBook/Pro's temperature. If it hit up to 50 degree, remove your silicon for better ventilation. In other words, if your MacBook/Pro is warm remove your cover. If you're in a air-condition environment, it's fine.

And lastly, how pleasurable is it to type on some silicone crap, dont you think its going to feel much nicer to type on a thing like it was intended to by the designing team of Apple.

14. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

wow thats crazy, I've had my previous MBP as my main and only computer for about 2 years. That has never happened to me.

-JoE

15. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Just check your temps before and after you get the keyboard skin.

My previous keyboard got pretty bad, and I've thought about a skin, but I'm still undecided at the moment.