using keynote without lugging macbook to work?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mwingerden, Aug 22, 2011.

1. mwingerden macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new here so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I got my first macbook a month ago (and LOVE it). I am an elementary teacher and I'm very interested in buying/using keynote to display the daily notes my students need to take (in addition to a lot of other uses with the students). However, at work, my Smartboard is (of course) hooked up to a pc. I'm wondering if I'll be able to create the slideshows at home and use them at work without bringing my macbook to work every day (computer + 25 grubby kids = sure disaster) Also, my pc at work has deep freeze on it, so I cannot load itunes every day, although I could potentially load safari every day to get into iwork.com. Is there an easier way I'm overlooking? I know you can convert keynote presentations into powerpoint but I've heard it loses a lot in transition. I don't want to work really hard on all of this and then have it not look nice. I can't try it out unless I buy keynote and I don't want to buy it if it won't work for this purpose. Any suggestion? Thanks so much!!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Stick with Powerpoint. Or, don't use either... because Powerpoint presentations generally fail as a learning tool :-\

3. mwingerden thread starter macrumors newbie

well I hate working in powerpoint. But Keynote looks more fun/easy/creative. I'm sure the kids would like to see the words do fun things rather than watch me write on a whiteboard.. that's my line of thinking here.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As long as you can put safari on the smartboard pc and browse to iWork.com you have everything you need.

You create your presentation click share and upload it to iWork.com then you can log into iWork.com from any pc or mac running the latest version of safari and away you go!

5. mwingerden thread starter macrumors newbie

saw some iffy reviews of iwork.com, so I wasn't sure. I'm hoping reloading safari onto a deepfreeze pc every few days isn't a huge pain.. thanks!