using laptop as aux display

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tast01, May 14, 2008.

1. tast01 macrumors newbie

I have a mbp. Currently I just have my laptop shut and my external monitor as my display and im fine, but id like to use both with my external as my main. Is there anyway or any software that will allow me to use my external monitor for my main display and my laptop monitor is an auxiliary display? Is there anyway i could get the menu bar on my external monitor if i have both open?

2. Dan Harkless macrumors newbie

Sure, just open up System Preferences (e.g. from the Apple menu in the top-left of your screen), go to the Displays preference panel, then go to the Arrangement tab and follow the directions. (At least you can do that there in 10.5 -- not positive about 10.4 and prior.)

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Oh yes, this has been possible from the very beginning. Just drag the representative icons of your monitors to the arrangement that you like, and drag the representation of the menu bar to your external screen. From then on, whenever you plug into that screen, the main display (menu bar, dock) will move to your big monitor, and when you unplug from it, it will be back to just the laptop.