Using laptop speakers to record w/garageband

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by stringergirl, May 25, 2010.

1. stringergirl macrumors newbie

Hi
    I know they're not the best, but I'd like to be able to use my OS X laptop speakers to record in Garageband sometimes. Is is possible-can someone tell me how to do so?

Thanks.:confused:

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

your laptop speakers? or do you mean your laptops built in microphone?

for anything like voice etc, the mic is pretty decent. just create a new hardware track (not software) - and record using the "built in mic" (not "line-in") and it should be good to go :).

3. stringergirl thread starter macrumors newbie

using laptop built in mic to record w/garageband

Got it...thanks. However, the sound is really distorted. While I don't plan on using this for anything more than studying my music I would like to be able to get a clean recording. I've searched "Help" in Garageband and tried Google for settings with no luck.
    Could you possibly help me out with some basic EQ/Compressor settings to clean it up?

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

The built in mic is of the same type used in cell phones. So, yes, if you record music with it, it will be like listening to music over a phone. Not the best quality.

What you need is a better mic. However once you go down that route it's easy to buy a studio full for recording equipment and spend 10 grand. Assuming you are on a tight budget and looking for less then $100. The nest step up after the internal mic is a "USB Mic." that is one that you plug into the USB port. You migt need a mic stand too. Not only would this be a better mic, but being on a cable yu can place it close to the source.

The other option is to use a digital hand held recorder. Price is $150 to $200 and these rcord to SD memory cards, the kind used in cameras, then later to use an SD card reader to copy the files. Quality is like the USB mic.

You can do nearly pro quiality recording at home but first you need a good room, some mics and a ralistic beginner's budget is closer to $500.

You are looking at something like one of these. The AT2020 shown , kind of need a better stand. Mic position is very important, you will want to get it very close, as in inches, not feet.
    http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT2020-USB-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B001AS6OYC

5. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

I second on the AT2020. It's a fabulous mic and I swear on it. It's a $100 mic that sounds like a $400 one

6. stringergirl thread starter macrumors newbie

using laptop built in mic to record w/garageband

Wow...really helpful info. I'll check out the options you've all mentioned. Appreciate it! :)

7. paolo- macrumors 6502a

It usually doesn't sound good, but it doesn't sound distorted. By distorted, I'm guessing you're hearing digital clipping. That happens when the input is to powerful for what the computer is 'expecting'. You can fix that by turning the recording level control in garageband down.

If you're just playing guitar and voice it should sound good enough for you to listen back to yourself.