Using Lepoard on Dual Screens.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Jul 27, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I decided, just for the hell of it, I would use Dual Monitors on my MDD. How can I Tweak Leopard so that i can tell the Mac which screen to launch what programs on?

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

They will generally launch on the screen where you closed them(and I don't mean hit the red dot but did a command Q)...that's my experience at least.

I use dual monitors on a daily basis, whether on my Quad at work or my Quicksilver and Mac Pro at home.

Ask Erik where apps pop up on his 6 monitors.

3. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

any way to tell the mac which screen to show the Apple boot screen on?

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It will be port #1 on your card. Switch cables if you want it on a different one.

5. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

What If you have 6 screens across 3 GPUs like Erik? Which GPU is the 1st one?

6. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That's correct. They will reopen on the screen you last quit them out on. Which sometimes can be annoying if you've moved an app to a particular screen just temporarily.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

AGP will be the primary. Then it starts with the PCI slots.

If you use System Profiler it will tell you which displays are attached to which card. In my case, 20" Cinema Display and HDTV attached to the AGP card, 17" Studio Display and 18" Gateway LCD attached to 9200 Pro (PCI) and 17" Studio Display and 18" Gateway LCD attached to 7000 (PCI).

Youngren14.png Youngren14 2.png Youngren14 3.png

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

What will be really fun is when I(finally) get my Mac Pro around to booting Mavericks.

I'm running two cards in it now-the stock 7800GT and an Asus "Quiet" GEForce 210.

Since OS X Lion, there has been pretty decent support at least a lot of GEForce GPUs although the support is at the software level and not the firmware level. What this means is that an unflashed, bone stock PC card works perfectly once the OS loads the drivers for it, but the screen is black until it gets to that point. The 210 is still supported(I hope) as of El Capitan-for sure it works in Yosemite.

By contrast, the 7800GT can "talk" to the EFI and thus gives boot screens and access to things like boot manager. It also will work great in Snow Leopard, which the 210 can't do. This cord has no support past OS X 10.7.

This means that to run Mavericks along with other OSs, you really need both cards. I still want to run PPC apps on my Mac Pro(it's a lot easier than switching back and forth between a G4/G5 and an MP) so I want Snow Leopard, but also appreciate what Mavericks and later bring to the table that I want to run them.

So, I use different or both screens depending on the OS I'm using. Current, under Lion(which is the main OS I'm running) both cards work so I get both displays.

BTW, the 7800GT-being in the "main" 16x, dual height GPU slot gets priority for stuff like the login screen, menu bar, and dock in Lion.

10. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

You can choose which screen you wan the Menu Bar or Dock on.

11. jerwin macrumors 65816

In the Arrangement tab of of the Display, you can drag the menu bar from screen to screen. It may change where the login window appears, but I don't wish to verify this at this time. ;)

12. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Bunn, make sure you get CUDA drivers for it. I thought FCPx was just garbage, but with the CUDA drivers everything graphics intensive gets alot better. I'd look into getting the CPU upgrade as well. An SSD will also help.

13. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks-already running the SSD, but will hunt down the CUDA drivers. Boot time to Lion is about 10s from power on.

14. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Nice! Lion is actually really nice on that machine. You can actually install Leopard on it too! Technically, you can install 10.5 - 10.11. Crazy huh!?! The CPU upgrade is so cheap, I almost pulled the trigger and did it. As for the CUDA drivers, I believe this is good: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-6.5.25-driver.html, but thats only for 10.8.x +. Here is a list of drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

15. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

the Mac pro 1,1 and even the 8 core 2,1 shipped with tiger originally (tiger on an SSD on a 8 core MP must be super sonic LOL)