Using Lightning Headphones With a Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mac 128, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Until they add a Lightning port to new Macs, is there a way to use Lightning headphones on a Mac?

Since there's no 3.5mm to Lightning headphone adapter yet, I'm assuming a digital solution would be necessary. Is there anything that converts audio from USB-C, USB-A, or Thunderbolt that would work with Lightning?

Or are we going to have to wait for a solution for the Mac, and in the meantime use a separate set of headphones for the Mac and iPhone 7?

Or, don't use the Lightning headphones, and instead use the 3.5mm adapter with an old set of headphones compatible with the Mac?

2. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

this was one of the reasons i was against the headphone change...

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Didn't you say decent Lightning headphones would be coming with interchangeable cables to support 3.5mm and USB-C?

Just wait until you can get a set of them.

4. Mac 128, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

Mac 128 thread starter macrumors 601

Mac 128

Yes I did say that, and they will. But right now, out of the box, Apple's own solution is not compatible with Apple's own current products. And that is a fail. They took away the port, which I fully support, but along with it they took essential functionality and compatibility, and replaced it with nothing.

Apple did not make the wrong choice to eliminate the 3.5mm headphone jack, but they have totally botched the introduction and transition to the new paradigm.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The only way Apple could have easily covered all bases was to include a set of 3.5mm headphones along with a Lightning adaptor in the box but I'm sure that would have received even more criticism from the people who hate the 3.5mm jack.

6. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Presumably, and like the introduction of the Lightning connector a few years ago, Apple have to start with one product, then quickly roll it out across the range.
    So perhaps we will see a lightning port instead of 3.5 in soon-to-be-refreshed iPads, MacBooks, etc over the next 12 months?

7. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

8. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

I am baffled as to why Apple doesn't just go to USB-C for iPhone. It's essentially the same thing as lightning, but industry standard. They didn't go MicroUSB back in the day because it was a crap connector (only capable of data, non-reversable plug, etc)... but now there's really zero logic (didn't say financial sense) to not go to industry standard. Apple is costing customer satisfaction by not giving up their little licensing setup with lightning and move to the standard USB-C... just pisses me off (see, satisfaction rating dropping) that they're moving to usb-c on laptops but not phones. It's becoming a joke.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2016 ---
    Yeah and as usual Apple put the cart before the horse.

9. Mac 128 thread starter macrumors 601

Mac 128

People hate the 3.5mm Jack? I had no idea. Seriously never read about anyone taking that position.

Whether they included the 3.5mm headphones or not, they've effectively created a situation when people who use anything else but their iPhones will need to for maximum convenience. Kinda defeats their whole purpose in including the Lightning headphones.

10. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

nobody hates the headphone jack, but many hate apple for getting rid of it.

11. Narcaz macrumors 6502

Apple messed it up. It's even worse than expected. Instead of including Lightning on macs or built some weird lightning to whatever adapter, it would have been way smarter from Apple to include a high end bluetooth dongle with the iPhone 7. Something like a supercharged version of the Griffin iTrip Clip https://griffintechnology.com/us/itrip-clip-bluetooth-headphone-adapter

Imagine an Apple version with a neat design, 3,5 jack, W1 chip, aptx support, great dac and 10 hours playback time. Instead of micro USB for recharging, it should have Lightning. This makes it possible to easily charge it with the included cable and to connect the Lightning Earpods. All old 3,5 headphones are now compatible with the new iPhone 7, and all Lightning headphones work with all old and upcoming macs. Such a dongle would also eliminate problems like charging and playing music with Lightning earpods.

Apple could easily circumvent a lot problems in the transition phase. But as long apple doesn't recognize such problematic use cases, it don't expect anything nifty. I wonder, which third party accessory will come up with a solution like this.