Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
I would hope that this would be possible, but at the moment I have no idea where to go about setting it up.

What I would like to do is use the Line-In on my Powerbook for realtime playback of another audio source.

In my case, I have several Audible Audio Books stored on my iPod, but Audible says 3 systems only.

I have my Mac Mini with eyeTV as one, my 24" iMac as a second and my lady's macbook as the third. However, when I am on the road, I would really like to listen to my stuff on some speakers instead of on headphones.

So, is there a way to use a 1/8" Mini strait through cable to plug from my iPod into my Powerbook's line-in port to listen to these audio books on my speakers and get around the whole 3 system limit with Audible?

I can get System Preferences -> Sound -> Input to see that there is something coming in there, but I dont want to record, I want to hear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
you can do it in garageband.

Make a new track (cmd+shift+N), press the little "i" button on the bottom right corner, (if the pane isn't out already), click the Monitor list, and select "On". You can play straight through without recording. :)

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Awesome, I knew that there would be some way of doing it.

So, since it can be done through Garageband, is there a way that it can be done through the System like how it is under Linux through alsaconf?

If possible, I would like a way that doesnt throw away a few hundred MB of memory, however if I am just going to have something playing while drifting off to sleep, what difference does it make anyways...

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Thanks Ausiemac, that is perfect.

I did not see your message when I was typing the reply to Scarlet Fever, must have just missed it between when I saw his reply and started typing my reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.