Using Logic Pro and recording on the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhaserFuzz, Jun 18, 2012.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Has anyone tried out Logic Pro on a Macbook Pro with Retina yet? Has Apple optimized it yet for the Retina display? Also how well does the system work with a recording interface? I'd imagine it has more than enough power to handle pretty much anything recording wise. Thanks for any help!

2. Code001 macrumors member

I'm a big Logic Pro user, and my new rMBP arrives on Wednesday. If nobody else chimes in by then, I'll go ahead and bump this thread with information. :cool: I can tell you that the computer itself should have no issues handling any of the current devices on the market. I actually have a new Apogee Duet 2 on order since the Apogee Duet no longer works with the machine, and I had a feeling that the Thunderbolt -> Firewire adapter wouldn't pull enough juice to properly phantom power the device.

3. UPO macrumors newbie

I'd be interested in finding out how logic looks on this too...

I dont use logic right now but I've been waiting on the new MBs to come out and Logic 10 as well to switch over... lol...

how likely do you think it is that we'll Logic 10 by the end of the year...

4. Code001 macrumors member

It's hard to say when Logic 10 will come out, honestly. There's a chance that it'll be out this year, but at the same time, it may be pushed back thanks to Apple's acquisition of Redmatica. The one thing about those of us who spend a lot of time working in DAWs is that we're generally not too quick to upgrade for fear that our current plugins and other audio devices may not work with the new software. I'm far from an expert in the field, though. I just hope it doesn't turn out like the FCPX fiasco did...

5. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

How come the Duet doesn't work? I would have thought it could keep working through the adaptor? Granted you now have to go through two adaptors seeing as its FW400, which is kinda nuts :confused:

6. Code001 macrumors member

Thunderbolt doesn't pull as much power as Firewire does. I haven't tested it out, but I don't think phantom powering a mic would work properly. Apogee also has been a bit slacking in the original Duet in terms of support, so I decided to get a new interface. I had an issue with my Duet when it came to scrolling windows real fast, and they couldn't figure out the issue. I also had a memory leak that would occur, but I was able to fix that myself by reinstalling the OS all over again. I could be totally wrong, though. Kinda hard to test when Apple hasn't released their freaking adapter yet... :mad:

Edit - And that adapter better be FW800, not FW400. I just bought a FW800 cable today for my RAID 5 setup to plug into the adapter for when it's released........

7. UPO macrumors newbie

yeah I read about the rematica stuff... Im hoping they can use that to create better instruments based on more realistic sounding samples and better scripts and stuff...

personally my whole purchase of a mac is dependent on logic 10... im really hoping they make their main window look more like cubase or pro tools, the white background and stuff... the gray green looks uninspiring, lol

plus im hoping they can come up with a built in instrument like battery and then better overall sounds...

hopefully they'll at least put out some kind of a statement once mountain lion is out...
    im pretty much 95 percent set on a mac, prob the old style 15 inch maxed out but that might change to the retina once I actually make the purchase... jus hoping we hear something about logic soooon

8. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Oh nah it will be 800, I mean the Duet

----------

I'm so used to Logic 9 now (which has such an insanely steep learning curve imo) that there isn't the slightest chance of me switching to Logic X for a few years if it comes out I think, then again there are some very long winded processes in L9 that I'm sure they'll just blast out of the water with X

9. UPO macrumors newbie

what were you switching over from when you went over to logic...
    Im hoping I can pick it up relatively quickly... ima be coming over from cubase...

10. CUsurfer macrumors member

CUsurfer

I'm an ableton user. Someone did post a screenshot of logic somewhere @ 1920x1200, but I can't find it anywhere (this is close but not the same thread; http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84665).

Someone on the ableton forums posted screenshots, if anyone is curious...

11. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

I switched from Reason, so it was totally different, I think Cubase would be easier. Why are you changing out of interest?

12. UPO macrumors newbie

yeah moving from reason to logic wud definitely be a little challenging...

I jus really wanted to try something new... I've been using cubase for a while and its really good...

buut I jus wanted to switch, jus to do it, lol

plus I've been wanting to get a new laptop for a while, jus something new... I've been looking at the mac and I've been told if your gonna do music on the mac logic is the best way to go...

so yeah, jus stacking up right now, lol

13. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Haha sweet, yeah it is good how Logic usually updates when there's new mac software/hardware changes

14. Code001 macrumors member

Okay, Logic Pro is up and running on my rMBP! At 1920x1200, it looks amazing! At 1440x900 (retina), the icons are a bit pixelated, but the text is nice and sharp. So yeah, Logic Pro is not yet optimized for retina, and I have a feeling that it won't be. My guess is they'll just wait until Logic 10 comes out. Keep in mind, it's still very useable at 1440x900, but if you're like me, you'll probably keep your computer at 1920x1200 all the time. The extra space is a godsend when it comes to these kinds of apps.

15. CUsurfer macrumors member

Any chance you could post a screenshot @ 1920x1200 (imgur is a good, quick host)?

16. Code001 macrumors member

Ask, and you shall receive! Note that I don't have all my plugins installed on this thing.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7077071/LogicPro1920.png

When you blow it up like the picture is shown, it's going to look kinda blurry on those icons. When you're actually in 1920, it's not that blurry at all. When you're in 1440, it's fairly noticeable.

17. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Nice, that looks good!