using mac as bluetooth headset...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by whyrichard, Jun 20, 2010.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I was wondering if it were possible, and hopefully free, to use my mac's isight and speakers as a bluetooth audio 'headset' for my iphone... in a similar way that I use my car's stereo as a speakerphone....

thanks,

r.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You might want to check out this to see if it will do what you want.

3. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I demoed some software called Phone Amego. BPE2 has some different abilities (SMS) while PA has cool Google Voice integration. Both offer trials. I never committed on one of them. It's on my todo list.

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

I just tried out both. My quick take:

Amego: Streamlined and transparent, google voice integration a big plus, however no speakerphone through mac --the main point for me

BPE2: Speakerphone through mac, powerful, however no google voice integration that i can see...

A question for BPE2 users: I am having a hard time getting my mac pro to recognize my iphone consistently once paired (which in itself took some patience). Is there a trick to getting the mac pro to automatically recognize my iphone when within range?

thanks,

r.

5. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Phone Amego now has speakerphone functionality.

6. 9000 macrumors 6502

Sorry to those people who hate it when ooold threads are revived, but it's still a relevant issue. My question: Is there a FREEWARE application that can do this? I can't find anything but paid software with more features than I need. I heard Tiger used to have it built in, and I'm sad that they removed it.

7. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

Really I wish Apple bring this back. Before the first iPhone came out, you could do it with your mobile phone through Address Book. I forgot which OS X it was.. but you could have a caller id on your screen and talk by connecting to your mobile phone via bluetooth. Call from your Mac to mobile phone.