Using Mac as remote speakers in itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dmchapman, Aug 14, 2009.

1. dmchapman macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Having a party and will use itunes on my iMac to provide some music which works fantastically to my AppleTv as remote speakers.

Is there anyway to use my old Powerbook as a remote speaker as well? I'd like to stick that somewhere with some speakers and just have it play whatever is being streamed to the AppleTV? Is this possible? Ideally I want Mac in study streaming music to AppleTV in the house and the old powerbook down the garden. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Darren

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You used to be able to use other computers (Macs and PCs) as remote speakers, but they must be running iTunes at the same time. I'm not sure if it still works, as I have not tried in about a year.

TEG

3. appletowns macrumors newbie

I was just trying to figure out how to do the same thing... Did you ever figure it out? Is it possible? Seems like it should be...

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I'm using Soundfly. It adds an "audio device" under output in system prefs, takes all the audio coming out of your computer, transcodes it for transport, and sends it to another machine on the network running Soundfly Reciever, while plays it.

5. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I use Airfoil. It'll send any audio (filtered by program), in sync, to Apple TV, Airport Express, iPhone/iPod Touch and other Macs, PCs and Linux machines.