Using Mac for P2P

Sid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Hi,

I'm looking at a purchasing a 15"Powebook and, having always been a windows person, I was wondering if popular P2P file sharing sites worked on the Mac (Soulseek, Bitorent, etc)

Do these sites still work, or are there other alternatives?
When using these sites do you still have access to Windows users files?

These are probably really obvious questions, but I couldn't find the answers....Cheers

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
The answer is yes everything mentioned above works on a Mac, and in some cases even better because you don't need to worry about viruses. Just be careful not to use any installers that are less than 100Mb as they are probably just programs that will delete files on your HD.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Bit torrent still works, you just have to get the mac client for it. There are also a number of P2P apps, such as LimeWire. I also like Acquisition.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
im not sure if this is breaking any rules, but are mac apps available for piracy? LIke if i wanted to could i download office for the mac, or if i buy a laptop now with osx, will i be able to download tiger, even though obiously i shudnt.. but i cud cudnt i? :)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
jer446 said:
im not sure if this is breaking any rules, but are mac apps available for piracy? LIke if i wanted to could i download office for the mac, or if i buy a laptop now with osx, will i be able to download tiger, even though obiously i shudnt.. but i cud cudnt i? :)
Do not get in to that here.

You can talk about p2p apps, but that's as far as you can go. Any specifics and the thread will be history...a bit like Napster :p

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
edesignuk said:
Do not get in to that here.

You can talk about p2p apps, but that's as far as you can go. Any specifics and the thread will be history...a bit like Napster :p
what are you talking about? napster is back! pay $15... get access to a ton of songs... then do the little trick to reencode them into aac or mp3 or whatever! lol

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Logik said:
what are you talking about? napster is back! pay $15... get access to a ton of songs... then do the little trick to reencode them into aac or mp3 or whatever! lol
Exactly! The glory days of napster were way-back-when, no RIAA ******* were after you, and it was free! :D

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
edesignuk said:
Exactly! The glory days of napster were way-back-when, no RIAA ******* were after you, and it was free! :D
i guess the trade off is that for $15 you get access to the sounds immediately and if you're on broadband it's FAST (doesn't depend on the peer)... and they kinda guarantee that you have no skipping and crappy sounding files.. well as good as WMA can handle i guess :p

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Logik said:
i guess the trade off is that for $15 you get access to the sounds immediately and if you're on broadband it's FAST (doesn't depend on the peer)... and they kinda guarantee that you have no skipping and crappy sounding files.. well as good as WMA can handle i guess :p
Yeah, and you get 14 days free, and you can record them and keep them for free. Woops, did I just go over the line there edesignuk :eek: May I say you are looking mighty fine today. ;)

PS. I know that is not a picture of him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.