Using Mac Mail 4.0 with Gmail - not getting a perfect sync

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jawad7, Apr 24, 2011.

1. jawad7 macrumors member

I've setup my gmail account on Mac Mail 4.0. Followed the instructions on gmail website and all is running fine and well.

The only thing that irks me is, if I get an email and read it using the web based gmail interface - when I get on my mac and open mail it still comes up as a a new email. Surely this should sync and it comes up as read on mac mail too? It works the other way round - say I get a new email on Mac Mail and read it - when I log onto gmail web interface it comes up as read. Any ideas?

Also - when I compose an email using mac mail - surely the sent email should appear in my sent items on gmail web too?

I'm hoping it's just a tick of a box that will sort this out.

Thanks in advance.

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

3. jawad7 thread starter macrumors member

yes - I have set it up as a pop account. Is it easy to change?

Forgive my ignorance - but what's the difference between and which is generally the preferred?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Sounds like you configured as a POP account instead of IMAP. Remove and re-add the account to Mail. Also check to make sure IMAP is enabled in the Gmail webmail settings.

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

It's actually very easy to change. You just have to change some of the information. Like I said, read the link I provided, it's easy, don't worry.

And IMAP keeps the messages synced. So if you read a message on Mail.app, it will show up as read on Gmail too and vice versa. Everyone probably preferres IMAP but it takes up a bit more space than POP3 but you get access to everything you do with a mail. IMAP imo is more powerful anyways.

6. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I know what the OP is experiencing. IMAP Gmail accounts in Mail, for me, lag behind the web interface and my iPhone...sometimes for much longer than the updating interval I've specified.

"Postbox" and the free "Postbox Express" manage to be just about up-to-the-second.

Many posts up here about this.

8. wilsonhaven macrumors member

IMAP Re-Sync

One of my Gmail accounts decided to re-sync 80000+ emails, 6 years, yesterday for no apparent reason. Has anyone seen this and have thoughts on what I most probably did to cause it?

Thanks!