Using Mac OS for families - how to automatically return to login screen? For multiple users

Discussion in 'macOS' started by troy14, Jun 2, 2016.

1. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,

Not sure the title was very descriptive helpful but I am hoping someone can help me. I am using a Mac (Mac Mini + Apple Display) for a family computer with multiple users. I am used to having windows automatically log each user out after say 10 minutes, then showing the login screen for the next user to log in.

Is this possible for Mac? Ideally I would like to have my Mother/Father/Siblings not have to do anything, and say after 10-15 minutes of inactivity have it end their session and the next user just is prompted with the login window and can select their name.

Third party software/paid software is OK, but free is obviously better.

Please, help!

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Settings->Security&Privacy->General->Requirepassword after sleep or screen saver begins

Also, then go to settings->desktop&screensaver->screen saver and set up the "start after" time.

Now at the login screen there will be a button that says "switch user"

You an also go to settings->users & groups->Login options and enable "show fast user switching menu" so that when you are logged in, at the top right of the screen in the menu bar you will see the name of the currently logged in user. You can click on that to switch users.

Hope that helped.