Using Mac OS X and Linux for a Business

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macuser1232, Jul 17, 2012.

1. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Hey I was wondering if it would be feasible to have a programming business that uses only Mac computers and others with Linux distributions on them? I know unix and linux are quite similar so they probably would work fairly well together. By the way, let me just say that I despise Windows and don't really intend on using it much in the business world.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sure. Plenty of Mac development studios get by on more or less only OS X.

Don't plan on working for a larger company then.

3. Vizin, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

damnit. Well did you know that Google abadoned Windows and is now only using Mac operating systems and Linux distributions! Yeah Google! But, I mean I just really don't like using Windows for many reasons. I hope they lose populartiy over the next decade or two.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

^^ they are the exception, rather then the rule.

I'd choose a platform that best fits your needs and solves a problem, rather then some sort of emotional response to windows. That is, If windows has an app that makes your life a lot easier, or could help manage your company and one doesn't exist for OSX, why do without it because you hate windows. After all its just an operating system.

6. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

true. but one conflict I am facing is being unable to program a certain programming language on a Mac but you can on Windows. If I was able to program it on Mac it would be a lot more efficient and fit my likings unlike Windows.

7. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

What language would that be?

8. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Well nevermind. I am actually focused on cross platform languages which means I an still use my Mac or Linux computer to program for Windows. I just need to have a windows VM or computer to test the program. But yeah since it's cross platform I should be fine.

9. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Actually make up your mind on what you want to do and go from there. Pick an operating system based on what you need to do your job successfully and efficiently. Don't base it on emotion or what a single multi billion dollar company is doing.