Using Mac Pro as Media Server

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SpaceKitty, Jan 23, 2009.

1. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

We've been using our Mac Pro as a media server. Everything bought from iTunes is downloaded through this iMac but it is stored on the Mac Pro and iTunes lists it as it should and we can play it through any computer in the house. Sometimes in playing TV shows or movies, the video and sound will stop for a few seconds or more then continue. This is networked through an AEBS. Any ideas on what's happening? Thanks!

Oh and there is no monitor or keyboard or mouse hooked up to the Mac Pro, it just sits there and runs in another room.

2. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I think I fixed the problem. I turned off airport on the iMac and connected a 50 foot ethernet cable to the iMac and Mac Pro. Transfers are allot faster than doing it over WiFi. Leopard makes these things so easy!

3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Not to be rude but that's a hell of a misuse of a Mac Pro :p...did you buy it for use as a server?

4. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Mostly because of the storage space. Does it really matter what it was purchased for? I've read of others doing the same thing, we're not the first.

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Well, you can buy a hard drive and set it up to store media on it. You can buy a Mini and attach super large hard drives to it. There are a lot less expensive ways to store files or have a media server. I think that's what someone would say it's a misuse of a Mac Pro.

But if you have money to burn, then might as well burn it. Congrats on your success. Apple thanks you.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You could use the processor cycles for something useful, since it's there and running anyway.

7. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

We did that for a few months till the power bill got as high as it does during the winter. As soon as we stopped, the power bill was back to normal.

Mac Pros are power hogs when all 8 cores are being used. It was fun though moving up the list that had work units for all users.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Even when the processors aren't running hot, that beast ain't easy on the power. If I had a free machine with no other use for it, I'd still avoid using it 24/7.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

read your post and realised that the ABES would be causing a streaming problem..but you already fixed it, nice work.