Using Macbook Air at non-native resolution

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mastaofdisasta, Jan 3, 2012.

1. mastaofdisasta macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I got a quick question for all you MBA users. I just got my MBA last week and I have some eye strain while using its native resolution at 1440 x 900. So I then downgraded the resolution to 1280 x 800. Its a little bit better on my eyes and more my speed since I used the older white plastic Macbook which had that resolution.

My question is: are there any MBA users that use the 1280 x 800 resolution full-time, and what are your experiences and opinions. Is it worth keeping the MBA even when not using in its native resolution? Thanks in advance for your input!

2. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

What are you having trouble reading? If it's web browsing, email, word processing then the applications for all of those have zooming capabilities. I like Firefox's NoSquint addon. I'd have burned out eyes by now without it. So again, what specifically are you having issues with?

3. mastaofdisasta thread starter macrumors member

I think the root of the eye strain issue that I have is the resolution at a certain screen space. When the MBA is in the 1440 x 900 setting, my eyes tend to strain while looking at the screen, and it is difficult for my eyes to focus on what I am trying to read. However when I set the computer to 1280 x 800, everything is maximized and my eyes are more relaxed as I can focus easier on what I am trying to read or look at. I will also add that I have a 15 inch Macbook Pro at 1440 x 900 resolution, and I have no problem using that.

Therefore, my issue is that my eyes strain while I use the computer at a 1440 x 900, but when I put it at the 1280 x 800 setting, my eyes are much more at ease, but doesn't alleviate the problem entirely.

4. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

The screen does seem the be really sharp at it's highest resolution but i've never had any eye strain issues, ever after 10+ hours of continuous use.

Maybe you should go see a optician and get your eyes checked out it might be a symptom of eye problems.

5. mastaofdisasta thread starter macrumors member

I actually got my eyes checked a few months back and the doctor said that my eyes were fine. He gave me a prescription for glasses just in case, but its one level above glass, so there's no point. As far as that goes, my eyes are fine. Its a weird issue I know.

6. minnus macrumors 6502

What display do you have? Personally, I found the LG display fuzzy, causing me to want to focus. Failing that, it just hurts. With the Samsung display, the text is much sharper. I am not sure if its a hardware or calibration difference, but I've seen about 7 displays and called their manufacturer correctly based on whether or not I felt it was fuzzy.