Using MacBook Air in clamshell mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by L T, Jan 19, 2014.

1. L T macrumors 6502

L T

So I would like to use my MacBook Air in clamshell mode with my 23inch monitor.

However, when I close the lid down on my MacBook the signal drops to the monitor. When I click my mouse the screen comes back up, but only for 30 seconds before it then goes and I can't get it back.

Are there any settings that I need to do on the MacBook to get it to allow signal to go to the monitor whilst it is closed?

Thanks

2. yosemit macrumors regular

I've been using MBA in clamshell mode for about four years. It is always easy and reliable to use. I use bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

Some suggestions: 1) Check the magsafe connection. If it's loose, MBA may not wake up in the default setting. 2) Check the connection from the mini-DisplayPort to the monitor.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

LT, my experience is that the MacBook needs to be on AC power for clamshell mode to work. Are you trying to do it on battery power?

Here are Apple's instructions: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

4. L T thread starter macrumors 6502

L T

Thank you!
    Didn't realise it had to be plugged in!! Will have to get an external keyboard now!

5. chabig macrumors 68040

I think it requires more power to drive an external display, and that's why it must be plugged in.

6. L T thread starter macrumors 6502

L T

Thanks, can't believe the only times I have tried it before have happened to be whilst on battery power!