Using MacBook Air Startup Disk for MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mac Skeleton, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mac Skeleton macrumors newbie

So I've done some searching and am getting either weird results or no results.

Can you actually use a MBA start up disk (USB) on the MBP to boot up or install? I didn't think you could, but I've heard twice that someone did so. Which is really odd.

I guess theoretically you couldn't but what would happen if you were to do so??

Thanks 4 the help!!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Install media that comes with your Mac is specific to that Mac, it won't work with other Macs (unless they are similar in specs).

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You can't, unfortunately the OS recovery disks are linked to that particular model of computer and will not work with another one.

4. Mac Skeleton thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea that is kind of what I figured. I get it for going from say an iMac to a Macbook Air.

But even from MacBook Air to MacBook Pro, it won't work?

Well, i was hoping it would work since I don't have my original MBPro disc. Im just afraid to try though incase it wipes everything or I lose all my data etc.

Is that even possible if I try?

Thnx

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

The grey install disks will simply not install on another Mac unless it matches spec. an MBA to MBP will not work nor will MBP to MBA. If you try you will get the message "OSx cannot be installed on this machine" and no install will take place.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The furthest you can go when you use another Mac's discs is the screen right after the language select menu. You can access disk utility and other utilities but you won't be able to install anything.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If the computers have same specs (i.e. the MBP is 13" 2010 MBP), then it might work as they use the same chipsets. You can of course try it but be aware that it most likely will not work.