Using macbook as a "router" thing for PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by canucksfan88, Sep 22, 2008.

1. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

So i recently moved and the ethernet jacks in the wall haven't been set up.
    Im running wireless through the only cable jack working in the house which is in the kitchen. So rather than running a long ethernet cable to my room, i was trying to get the wireless signal sent from my router to my macbook, and then sharing internet through Ethernet into my PC running windows xp.

so from: router -> macbook -> PC

ive alrdy turned on internet sharing, but i dont know what to do next. it says connection failed when i open up Firefox on my pc

thanks in advanced.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can either turn on DHCP on the PC, or use your own IP addresses for the MacBook and PC over Ethernet, with both indicating that the MacBook's address is the Gateway. I do this all the time with my PowerBook and PCs, TiVos, and Playstations, so it should work with DHCP.

TEG

3. canucksfan88 thread starter macrumors 6502a

okay...erm...lol, how do i go about doing that?
    i was confused about how to do that yesterday =s

thx

4. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

more of a matter of curiosity, what is your motive behind this setup? A wireless G network adapter for your PC wouldn't set you back more than $20-25 on eBay. While what you're wanting to do is more than feasible (as I temporarily did it for getting wireless xbox live), the setup makes for a $1200 wireless card (or a tied down mobile machine, depending on how you wanna look at it)

5. canucksfan88 thread starter macrumors 6502a

um, cause the cable company is coming next week to hook up the ethernet jacks next week

6. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

Ah, gotcha! I was under the impression you were wanting this setup on a more permanent basis. I did this with my xbox 360 for a bit, I used this video (even though it's geared for the 360 setup, the steps would be identical for a pc. Just instead of entering the settings on an xbox, you're entering them in your pc). An alternative can be found here. Hope that'll help a bit :D