Using MacBook as wi-fi hotspot

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Karvel, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Karvel macrumors regular

Hey! I understand you can make your MacBook into a kind of wi-fi access point, by going System Preferences > Sharing and choosing AirPort under Internet Sharing.

The thing is, my halls (I think it's called dorms in the US?) forbid you to have a router in your room (i.e. plugged into the ethernet in your room), and cut you off if you do. I know people who have them, though, and who "mask the MAC/IP address" or something? I dunno what that means - but could I do the same kind of thing with this? Or another way to put it: could the network administrators know I was making my MacBook a kind of wi-fi access point? I really want to be able to use the wi-fi on my iTouch while I'm here :(

Many thanks!!

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

You should deactivate the "Broadcast SSID" option, but I can't find it in the prefs of internet sharing. Anyways, look for that one. Without it enabled, you need to know the name of the network to be able to connect to it (and possibly to detect it, but this is pure speculation from me).

3. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I've done this at hotels so I could use my iPhone over wifi in hotel rooms (where they really lock down stuff so they can charge you twice for two devices) and it works great.

4. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

Well I nearly went through with it until I got this drop-down sheet:

[​IMG]

Now I feel nervous :eek: but surely sharing through AirPort isn't as "disruptive" as the other options of sharing through Firewire or Ethernet? I dunno

edit: sod it, I've done it. This is the fastest wi-fi ever haha :D

5. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

Hah, spose that was a silly question really.