Using macbook, imovie '09, external mics and audio interface... HELP!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by badhorsie777, Mar 2, 2010.

1. badhorsie777 macrumors member

Hey guys and gals -

I'd like to get some youtube clips of me up on...well... youtube... and I want to film me performing my songs acoustically. I have a decent audio recording setup here at the house - MOTU Ultralite mk3, some nice condensor mics, etc. How can I record and use THAT audio source with my built-in macbook's video camera? Can I do that in imovie? My quick look turned up nothing.

Thanks!

-Matt

2. kevinquinnyo macrumors newbie

BUMP

Is there seriously not an answer to this?

It amazes me that there isn't a simple setting in iMovie for allowing an external USB mic but keeping the isight for video.

I'm attempting to record acoustic guitar as well, and the built in mic will not do.

Garage Band has no problem allowing me to record through my mics and USB interface.

Can anyone help?

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I would record the audio with all the mics in the best way you can. Than export the song and import it into imovie as a song.

Than play the song and just try to keep it synced (so the same speed etc). Than add the video to iMovie, and put the song below it. Just make sure you sync it.

You could also film and record (I don't know the program you use, logic studio or garageband) but record it in the best possible way and at the same time record the video. Then export the song and place it under the video.