Using Macbook Pro as a GPS Unit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XTRanger, Oct 14, 2007.

1. XTRanger macrumors member

im planning on going for a short road trip, and i know that a couple of my friends used their windows laptop as a gps system, by using a USB gps receiver and a software.

Have any of you tried it with the MBP? what software/receivers do you use/recommend?

2. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

MacGPS Pro seems to be a favorite among many, and they have a list of gps recievers that work with their software. There are some really professional programs that do the same thing, but I forget their names and google searching is not ringing any bells.

3. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Ewww. I hope that's not the only one because all the screenshots on that site are horrendous. This is something I've been interested in for a while, so I'll definitely be looking around. I've heard that Google maps can sync up with a bluetooth device (at least on my BlackBerry it can, so I'd assume the actual site could somehow as well).

On that note, if anyone is going for a long drive they'd have to charge the laptop eventually; Apple's have long battery lives, but not infinite. Anyone have a good car adapter for the laptop they'd recommend?

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Since Apple hasn't licensed the MagSafe to anyone, there are no car adapters.

However, you can get a DC to AC power inverter (12v jack) and it will convert the power so you can plug your MBP adapter into that.

5. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

i use bootcamp on my laptop running XP sp2

and this from microsoft (well this is 2008 version, i have the older bigger one, but it works great)

http://www.microsoft.com/streets/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=001

...when im driving im not going to be useing the computer, so i dont mind it being in windows. just having the huge gps screen makes it really nice to barley have to glance at it.

6. XTRanger thread starter macrumors member

Yep, thats what I do... i have a power inverter by Targus that i use to power my MBP while in the car/on the road.

How is Streets and Trips working out for you? is it good enough to be a navigational aid? I have heard some bad things about it... thats why im a little concerned...

7. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I've been using DeLorme's windows product for 10 years and highly recommend it. http://delorme.com

8. gotzero macrumors 68040

I use an inverter and streets and trips. I have been casually looking around to see if there is a software i can use in OSX, but other than normal GPS interface issues, i have no complaints.

Anyone know what else the MS receiver will wprk for?

9. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

The problem with that is how are you going to going to use the mouse if you're travelling in a car? Not really a solid surface there. It's a neat idea, but not very practical for someone who's planning on setting their laptop on the passenger seat while they drive.

10. XTRanger thread starter macrumors member

What version of streets and trips do you use? Is it enough to get you from one place to the other?

11. g2525 macrumors newbie

there is a car charger with magsafe i think its at 150 usd in the hypershop and its free if u buy a hypermac (external battery for mac)

12. restless1 macrumors newbie

gps

i am doing a road trip from perth WA to sydney NSW.... can i use my macbook pro as a gps