Using Macbook Pro as alternative to Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nevisbound, Nov 7, 2008.

1. nevisbound macrumors newbie

nevisbound

I'm considering using a higher end new MBP with a 30' cinema and DVI adaptor paired with external wireless mouse and keyboard as an alternative to a new MP. I know I will take a hit in speed and ability to expand. But mainly I do a lot of photo editing and need the screen size but not the processing power of the MP. I can use a timecapsule for the extra storage capacity when I need it.

I'm considering this because I work in two offices. I use one office for photo editing and the other office more for spreadsheets, email etc. I will have the desktop setup with the 30'' one place where I edit photos but be able to use the MBP laptop in the second office and on the road.

I dont want to spend the money to get both a MBP and MP with display, which of course, would be the cost-is-no object solution.

Does anyone forsee any problems with this approach? Has anyone done this or had experience using a MBP with an external monitor. How's the ergonomics?

Thanks all.

2. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

I did the opposite.

I started with a MBP (Early 2008) and just bought a Mac Pro.

No docking station is uncool, connecting USB, ethernet, DVI every time and the mess on the desk bothered me.

Managing a large LightRoom library, and do massive updates were too time consuming.

Rendering video was a no go...

I guess having both is just the best thing if it's within your budget.

Ralph

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

With the price of a MP + 30" ACD, why not go with the MBP and a refurb 24" iMac? Since expandability and stupid fast speed is not essential.

You can use the iMac for photo editing in your office, assuming your office has controllable lighting (to deter glare from the glossy screen). I heard that they work fine if you have little/no lighting in behind you (light shining into the screen) and if you use a soft light behind the computer. Color accuracy can be achieved also regardless of the glass on the screen, It's just a matter of using a hardware color calibrator, then getting to know how your screen appears when you send to print.

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

haha I did the exact same thing. :)

To the OP: I think if you don't mind hassle of unplugging/plugging in then the MBP plus 30" ACD is a great option. I had that set up for awhile and other than my minor quibble, it was an excellent way to go.

I don't see any problems with this approach unless you dislike connecting and disconnecting it everyday. Ergonomics is good but get a stand for your MBP so it'll be somewhat at eye level.

5. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I did the same thing that you are proposing. I bought a MBP and use it at home with a large monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard. My desktop is very tidy, (just monitor, keyboard & mouse, no wires) as the MBP and all peripherals live under the desk in an enclosure that I built specially for the purpose. It all works very well but the only problem is the annoyance of re/ disconnecting the 7 cables twice a day. It begins to be a real pain so I am looking for a docking station solution akin to the Belkin, (http://www.belkin.com/highspeeddock/). This would be a perfect device only it doesn't work with macs. Then I would just plug in the Expresscard 34 slot and away...