Using Macbook/Pro charger 6ft cable extension with iPad...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by doug in albq, Apr 7, 2010.

1. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

I found it easy to simply stick my MacBook charger directly into my surge protector, as the thin cable is long enough to reach my MacBook where it usually lives (when charging).

The extra length of the Macbook/Pro large power supply cord, when connected to the iPad 10w charger is much more valuable for my iPad and its somewhat short USB 30-pin connector cable—especially short when it has to reach a power supply and not a computer.

Doing this actually creates the $29 optional iPad charger with 6ft power cord that Apple offers!

Anyone else done this yet?

2. smoked macrumors regular

Yes I have done that too. It is nice having these long lasting batteries on the iPad and MacBooks so the cords can be swapped around, unlike the MBA which always has to be plugged in :p

3. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

4. myoldwatermill macrumors member

I am doing it, but I am scared. I hope this doesn't end badly for any of us.

5. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

it is not a problem at all...

later in April Apple will sell something exactly like this as an accessory for $29.

6. Woz Beard macrumors regular

Woz Beard

Same here. I found an old MacBook extension cord and it worked out perfectly. This cord should have been included, but then again, it's Apple. They have to maintain their product margins!

7. myoldwatermill macrumors member

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

It's the first thing I thought of when I unboxed my iPad. Finally, a use for the power extension cord.

9. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I have like three of these extention cables laying around, how i have more cables than i have computers, i can not answer. However, i do know it just saved me $30 ;)

10. cobaltrich27 macrumors 6502

cobaltrich27

Yup Im using my MacBook 3 prong cord the same love the extra length.

Hey it's probably the safest way to use it since it has a ground pin and heavy gauge wiring but I'm not an electrician? I do know that little iPad charging block gets pretty hot while charging just like the MacBook block. By using the extension the heat isn't right at the wall socket gotta be safer in my opinion?

I have my 3 prong plugged into a Tripp•Lite UPS surge protective system. I live in Texas we get lots of lightning from springtime storms so I don't take any chances.

Nice to know now when that happens I can fire up mywi and use the iPad instead of old school tethering to my MacBook :D

11. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Wow, didn't even think of doing this. Makes sense, because it can't hurt since you aren't using the MacBook's power "brick" just the extension.

12. GreenTentacle macrumors newbie

Since it's a standard "figure of 8" (IEC c7 or c8 I think) connector on the iPad charger / Macbook charger, I just picked up a generic lead with that plug on one end, and the appropriate mains connector on the other-- makes international travel a lot easier and saves me from packing a changer.

13. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

doing this has allowed me to spend $29 on iPad apps instead...!

14. hobbsy101 macrumors newbie

so guys, does the connection that is visible with the prongs off of the ipad charger looks like a B instead of an 8 figure like the iphone charger's?

15. Inksworth macrumors regular

Inksworth

I asked an apple genius about this. He said it works without issue. I've got my MBP extension on my iPad dock now. No problem! :)

16. bluehaze013 macrumors 6502

No it's not polarized so you can plug the cord in either way. It's the "8" version of the connector.

17. BmoreDrumGuy macrumors regular

18. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Can you elaborate? I have a macbook and a charger. how do i hook up the iPad charger to it?

19. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

20. BmoreDrumGuy macrumors regular

Good idea! Got a really long extension still unopened. Thanks!