Using macbook pro got a white screen, tried to reboot no screen just startup chime

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sonhascome, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I was using my macboo pro 15" intel core 2 duo 2.53ghz A1286 today when I suddenly got a white screen, I could be going crazy bit I thought I also smelled the faint smell of burning electronics too, I turned the computer off for a little while then when I tried to restart it I could hear the start up chime but couldn't see anything, even shined a light on it to make sure I wasn't just my backlight that had gone bad. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Also, I did try resetting the smc to no avail.

2. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hmm try a external screen. Your Mac may of took a crap sorry

3. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to try an external screen tonight. I'm afraid it's something with the logic board?, just hope that it's not an expensive repair. If anyone knows of any logicboard repair places that will repair relatively cheaply let me know. i had found one online years ago that did it for 250, but I can't find them again. it was like sierra circuit or something like that

4. burtjr macrumors newbie

Take it to the Apple store. This sounds like the GPU issue. They will run tests on it, if it turns out to be that they will replace the logic board. If it is not and your apple care has run out it may be time for a new one as the logic boards run around $800 US.

5. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

I've just hooked it up to an external monitor and it works when hoooked up to a monitor, does that means that its a video card issue?

6. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

looks like the lvds cable burnt, both the cable and the socket where it connects to the board. can the socket be repaired or replaced? thanks

7. burtjr macrumors newbie

I am sure it could, but it may not be cost effective. There is only one way to find out though and that is to take it into the Apple Store unless you know someone who is certified in 2M repair.