Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DC23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Hi everyone,

Just had a quick question for you guys. Is it possible to use the new Macbook Pro Retina as an extended display for a late 2011 Macbook Pro. I have a late 2011 MBP (16gb ram, 2.2ghz quad core i7) and my girlfriend just picked up a MBP retina. I love the display, I was just wondering if it was possible to use the retina MBP as an extended display for my MBP? I know it's a strange question but I was looking for another monitor when I need some more screen real estate and it'd be great to not have to plunk down a boat load of cash for a another monitor with the same quality display as my Macbook Pro when I've got a retina MBP at my disposal. I don't need huge screens, so having the 15" of my MBP and the 15" of the retina would be plenty.

I've heard of target display mode, as well as other things like screen recycler, just looking for an easy solution. If I have to spend $50 on a thunderbolt cable to mini display port cable, then that's alot better than spending $200 on a good external monitor.

Thank you for your help!!

DC23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Damn! Too bad! Any other solutions? Thank you for the quick reply!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.